Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt Engine in and running good..hints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by akbound, Mar 21, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

My newly rebuilt 355 is in and dialed in. Great power (especially compared to its tired state with 235,000 miles) I can't wait to rev it over 4000 rpm.

The only real problem I had with the install was lining the engine up with the transmission. I had an engine leveler, but just couldn't get it to slide on after a couple of hours of trying, even with the help of two other guys. So, I decided to sleep on it.

The next day I went to Home Depot and got some 1/2" threaded rod and cut a piece about 4" long and threaded it into the back of the bellhousing. I also bought an angle finder and determined the angle of the trans shaft. I then lowered the engine and adjusted it to that same angle. Then I was able to slide it right on without any help.

Another thing from my other post: make sure to reattach the vacuum hose from the brake booster to the back of the carb. :blush:

I paid $1500 to get the engine rebuilt and at least doubled my horsepower (especially since it wouldn't rev past 4000 rpm before) :grin: