Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt engine won't start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 4, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rebuilt engine won\'t start

I tried to start up the rebuilt 350 today with no luck. It turns over freely but doesn't act like it is firing. I tried using my multi-meter to verify 12V to the HEI, but it decided to stop working so I couldn't verify that. That wire always had 12V before I swapped engines, so I don't think that's the problem.
    I put fuel in the float bowl before I put on the carb and I pre-filled the fuel lines, so I'm sure I'm getting gas.
    If I can get a friend to come over tomorrow I'll try a timing light on the plug wires and verify spark on all 8.
    I've tried advancing and retarding the timing a good deal without and luck.
    I'l real wearing of turning over this engine a lot without it actually running because the cam is, obviously, new and needs to be broken in and not flattened.
    I'm pretty bummed out and already hitting the Smirnoff, so I'll do the smartest thing and wait till I think about it a little and try tomorrow.
    This is my first time at a rebuild and I really want this engine to fire. . Any advice?
    -- Mike

Misc. info - I charged the battery, reads 100% on the charger. HEI has new coil, cap, rotor. Has new spark plugs and new wires.
    350 block, 0.30 over, with 882 heads, dual-plane Weiand intake, Edel. 1406 carb. New RV-type cam w/ new lifters and pushrods.

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Rebuilt engine won\'t start

Sounds like the distributor is off by 180 degrees...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well thats a real bummer. are you sure the distributor isnt in 180 degrees out? thats a REAL common mistake.

if you guys have a harbor freight in your area they sell a remote starter switch for like 2.99 or something which will get the job done.. its a lot easier to diagnose stuff with one of those, if you dont have a second person to crank the starter from inside the cab...

there is a lot of stuff it could be, was the timing gear installed with the dots "touching" ? (cam gear at 6 oclock and crank at 12) ...plugs gapped right? spark plug wires in correct order? 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

i wouldnt sweat it.. i know its irritating but it'll be running soon enough...

to make sure the distributor is in right, remove plug #1 and put your finger over the hole.. have someone bump the starter several times until you feel the compression stroke.. it'll pressurize the cylinder and blow your finger off the hole.. you know you're coming up on top dead center of the compression stroke, thats when you want the distributor rotor pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap.......

just some suggestions.. keep us posted and like I said, dont sweat it.. there are only so many things it can be and most of them are fairly simple to fix

mike

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Good call Rene, that would have been my guess.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm pretty bummed out and already hitting the Smirnoff

<hr></blockquote>

Sounds good to me! I'm doing the same!

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

6. tRustyK5

I will say that I'm am an expert at getting the distributor in backwards. It's my specialty.[​IMG]

I think the main problem is that when the cam is going in they show in most manuals the two dots nearest to each other. Cam gear dot a 6 o'clock, and crank gear at 12 o'clock. This works great for getting the cam in but is actually #6 TDC not #1 TDC. Thats what used to trip me up anyways...

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey, I had a similar problem with mine. How did you set your valves? If you followed the book, it prolly wont start. What happens, you adjust the rockers till the pushrods dont turn, then back the nut a bit... well, before the engine is started, your lifters are collapsed... no oil pressure yet. As soon as you try to crank the motor, the pressure comes up, fills the hyd. lifters, and opens all the valves. No compression equals no fire. Try to pull the rocker covers, back off all the valves till the pushrods turn free again and try to start it.
    Betya it will work!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Hey Thumper,
    That sounds like a definite possibilty since I used new lifters.
    So I should back off all the rocker arm nuts until I can wiggle them with my fingers?
    Can't I just hook my compression gauge to any cylinder and crank it over a few revolutions?

Rene - I don't think I'm 180 off, but I will check again. I used a positive piston stop to verify that 0 degree on the balancer was true TDC (it was) and then rotated the crank and watched the valves till I got to the compression stroke. Of course, I could still have messed it up so I'll do it again. Why can't they make a timing chain peephole so I can just check for the little cam dot at 12 o'clock!?!

-- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

With adjustable rockers I typically set them sort of like a solid lifter (but no need for a feeler). Even without oil, they will stay "up" as long as there is no pressure. Just turn the engine till the cam lobe for the valve in question is more-or-less at the bottom. Just tighten the rocker till its snuged. Repeat for each rocker. This will be close enough to get it started. Then loosen off each rocker till you hear the "tick" and tighten it till it stops plus 1/8th-1/4 turn. This can be messy so I had a set of valve covers cut in half to catch most of the oil thrown by the rockers.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, the way I finally figured it out by pulling the plug, and cranking it. I didnt hear the typical puff puff suck sounds from the cylinder. A compression guage will tell ya right away too.

When I did it, I just had to back em off till the rods turned with my fingers. By this time (almost a day trying to figger why it wouldnt start) I was a little frustrated, so I just got them all loose and cranked it. It fired and started, I just had to run and adjust them proper... Back off till ya hear them rattle, then tighten till they stop, and go 1/8-1/4 turn more.
    Worth a shot...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/cool.gif"&gt;
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

11. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys let me ask a stupid question... the number one on TDC I understand, but what do you want on the valves to determine if it is on the compression stroke???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

12. BadDog

Not sure exactly what your asking but, the compression stroke occurs just after the intake valve closes. The piston is going down with the intake open, at the bottom the intake closes, and the piston comes up on compression. Is that what your asking?

Russ

13. solowookie

yea... I've rebuilt an engine, but I really don't understand how they work. [​IMG] looks like I need to actually read one of these books instead of referrencing the parts I need... LOL

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

14. tRustyK5

4 cycles Jeff...Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.[​IMG] That's how i remember it anyways. The crank rotates twice for every revolution of the cam.

Rene

15. BadDog

Hey Rene, sounds like your having more fun at this than the rest of us. [​IMG]

Russ

16. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

LMAO that was go I have never heard it that way but I will never forget that one thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. solowookie

OK... lets go back to a little schooling here; suck is gonna have intake open, and then blow is going to have exhaust open right?

so the TDC right after the the 'suck' is where it fires right?

18. tRustyK5

Who says learnin stuff can't be fun?[​IMG]

Rene

19. tRustyK5

'suck'..intake valve opens, piston heads downward drawing in the intake charge.

'squeeze'...intake valve closes and piston heads upward compressing the fuel air mix.

'bang'... spark ignites and piston is moved downwards by the exposion.

'blow'...exhaust valve opens and the piston pushes the exhaust gases out on the up stroke.

Rene

20. solowookie

so every stroke is either an up or down of the cyl.??? so the spark is at the end / beginng of the squeeze / bang stroke right?

so if I had the valve covers off and I was determining where to position my dist. what exactly am I looking for?