Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Sep 11, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

When can you tell if your engine needs rebuilt or you need a new one?I'm not stupid but I would think that you'd run it until that bitch dies.When that time comes,how much should I expect to pay for a rebuilt 350?I currently have a 305 that seems to be on its last leg but can't afford to pay for a new engine yet.For now I think I'll just make minor repairs jst to keep it going.Does this sound like a good idea?

2. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Smallblocks never die [​IMG]....well maybe if they´re already bored .060 over and just shot 5 connecting rods through the pan.
    Anyway, if you constantly see blue smoke from your exhaust or if you loose your oil-preassure it´s a sign for rebuild. Worn out bearings and pistonrings is the most common reasons for a rebuild, and when you change pistonrings you usually hone the cylinders first...or even bore them, then hone. Worn valve guides is another thing that´ll make you engine to puff out blue smoke, at least at start-up. Changing valveguides is tricky and while the heads are off you might aswell resurface them and freshen up the valve seats...and why not new stainless valves?[​IMG]. So....it all adds up to alot of $$ either way you look at it [​IMG] Can´t help you with the prices as I´m on the other side of the world. My advice to you is to continue what you´re doing, until something expensive-to-fix happens. Then get a rebuilt 350....and change your oil and filter every 3k miles or so. It´ll last forever! I guess I haven´t answered any of your questions......[​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

3. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status