Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilt heads how do i break them in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Dan, Jan 2, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok I put some rebuilt heads on. i adjusted the valves.when Istarted it up sounded good. took it for a ride then when i parkednotice some tapping .i think its just the valves .im not sure.it also doesnt seem to have as much power not to much of a difference just alittle.is this normal.also is there any way im supposed to break it in would you suggest that i not wheel it for a while after i readjust the valves. any advice /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifthanks

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

You lifters should be hydraulic self adjusting, therefore your valves should not be out of adjustment. If you installed it incorrectly the lifters are pumped up all the way and can't make up for the clearance so they tap. You've got to pump down the lifters(put them in a vice, be patient) and readjust from there. To set the lifters the pushrod should be about in the middle of the lifter play. When the engine starts the lifters will presurize and complete the setting. If you got solid lifters, you just got to adjust them.

Oh, make sure you got enough engine oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

it's an 87 tbi. i don't know what lifters i have /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifif i get the tapping to stop should i take it easy on them.if so how long?

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Your 87' most likely have hydraulic lifters, you need to get in there and readjust the valve train to the proper settings to ensure long jebbity. No matter how you drive it may damage your valve train /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

This might help.

Cam Change

theres a part about adjusting lifters with some thoery.

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok itook valve covers off and adjusted again.sounds great no tapping and from what i can tell runs great.i'll have time to run it more tomorrow.still wasnt sure how to break them in /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifthanks for the help!hope all stays well

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

With the engine running and one valve cover off... Take a 5/8" socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet and loosen a rocker until you hear "tick tick tick" from the rocker you are doing. Begin to slowly tighten it back up until the tick just quits. Then go a 1/2 turn beyond this point. Done. Now do it for the other 15. That is the messiest and probably the best way to do it. It will get oily in there! Be sure to hose the eninge off with brake cleaner after you get it back together and things cool off.

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

ditto to blazer boy thats the way i do my final adjustments when i do em
    Hey Dan
    Really glad to here you got your rig running again
    Hope you had a great New years !!!!
    R