Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt my TH350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Sep 6, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

After tearing apart my TH350 i found a bunch of destroyed parts that needed to be replaced.
    Crawlin70 lives a few hours away and helped me out by selling me a TH350 he had...
    So I rebuilt my TH350 and made one good tranny outta the two.
    I put in B&M hi perf. racing clutches and bands, and i installed a B&M stage 2 shift kit. When i replaced my converter i went with the 1,500-1,900 stall from summit.

Todays the first day of breaking in the new tranny I rebuilt, and I love it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif It feels way better than before. My shifts are snappy as hell and when you stomp on it it'll just about chirp em.
    I wasn't too sure about the stall converter, but i figured i'd give it a try and it feels like just what i was after, it gives me a little bit more stall speed and a faster launch from a stoplight or if i'm going to be sand draggin' but it feels like it'll still crawl great.
    SWEEET /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

sweet dude. glad i could help you out. now we just need to hook up and go wheelin /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm in the proceess of rebuilding my TH350, under the guidance of a friend's knowledgable uncle. GREAT learning expierence, I feel confident that with a good manual I could rebuild one by myself. I can't wait to get mine all back together (hopefully this weekend) and drive it around, knowing that I did it... I love that feeling.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Kewl deal. About how much did it run you in parts?

I was always worried about my TH350 leaving me stranded. And the thought of rebuilding it seemed daunting. Glad to hear someone can and has done it. Good job!

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Can you recommend a book or an internet site that can give some pointers on rebuilding a th350? Mine is at the point where I could take it out right now, but I'm concerned about being able to complete the job.

Compared to rebuilding an engine (I won't attempt that), is it an easier job? Anyone with experience can chime in here.

6. Ryan B.

Thanks guys.
    I learned on the TH400 in my camaro, rebuilt that about 4 months ago. Behind 520+ HP and FT LBS, the clutches are slipping again now so i'll be rebuilding that one again starting this weekend.

For the TH350, I bought the rebuild manual for $20... I bought the master racing overhaul kit which was like $125. Then i added the Stage 2 shift kit which was about $35. And last i had to buy a new converter because the fluid was all contaminated. The converter was under $100... And some fluid...
    So under $300 for the whole deal. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The rest is just labor... But if its a labor of love then it's priceless... Like you say, nothing like the feeling of slamming through the gears and knowing you built it all. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Ryan B.

I'll have to look when i get home for the name of the book...
    There is a manual that Jeg's sells in their transmission section. Thats the same exact one. Easy, step by step directions for the most part.
    I think summit sells some TCI books also.

The best advise i can give is to get a big table and cover it with newspaper. As you take everything apart, keep everything in order layed out on the table.
    Keep everything as clean as possible like you're performing surgery. Dirt and small particles are a auto trannys worst enemy.

I haven't done a complete engine before, but i would say that an auto tranny isn't that hard. It just takes time and patience. And a good manual. It's more intimidating than anything else. Its a well kept secret how simple it is to rebuild an auto. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Heres some pic's of the TH400 rebuild i did...
    Page 1
    Page 2

GO FOR IT!!!
    Good luck! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good job Bro!!
    And Congrats!!!

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What is a master "racing" kit include? When I rebuilt mine I just bought master rebuild set that included clutches, band, steels, modulator and seals. With that and a rebuilt stock converter, flush kit for the cooler and a basic rebuild manual it set me back right at $125. I didn't put any shift kit in it. My 79 has too much kit in it and it's anyoying how hard it hits second. Fun when you puch it but just to much for putting around.

10. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww [censored] nukka, rebuild mine

11. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

holly $hit DUMB A$$ DODGE is alive /forums/images/icons/blush.gif its a mirical have not see him post in months. i guess that would meen the dodge is not fixed yet? by the way hows the rental car fly? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. LiftedAssDodge

LiftedAssDodge 1/2 ton status

its good, only got about 1.5 feet of air, but thats all good at like 80

and yeah im alive, but i tend not to post too much in anything but the club board but since they went to the bullshit pay thing i dont get to post there

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ryan did that kit come with any internal bushings? I know they don't wear out as fast as the bands and clutches, but I know they suggest replacing them on high mileage trannies (otherwise premature failures occur), and was curious if the kit you bought had them, or if you saw any kits that included them?

14. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Nice work, you've given me inspiration to pull mine and rebuild it myself. Alls I need is a good manual and some patience huh?

15. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

My Shift Improved TH350 would chirp the tires when shifting, but that was when it was a little low on fluid /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. Ryan B.

I think the master racing overhaul kit comes with the high performance bands and clutchs with a greater coefficient of friction. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    It came with the clutchs, steels, seals, and the bushings also. I only had to do one of the bushings and it was pretty easy.

I found that my previous "AAMCO" rebuilt tranny had a plastic bushing between the input and output shaft. The plastic was all worn down and caused the shafts to grind into each other, destroying them.
    When i got a hold of a good tranny i saw that bushing wasn't plastic but more like a metal bushing pressed into the output shaft. Maybe aamco rebuild jobs are press the old one out, slap a new plastic thingy in and call it good. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Ryan did you put any extra clutchs in the packs?

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude, Ryan you da man! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Rebuilding stuff n stuff /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. Ryan B.

Nope.

Today i went over to santa cruz surfing, testing out the tranny with a good 60 mile drive... and i pulled outta this one place and jumped on it. It BARKED the tires when it hit second and there were some people on the sidewalk that saw and were cheering and stuff./forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I was cracking up at that.

...and the camaro tranny was slipping. I get under it tonight drop the pan and change the fluid, and realize all it was.... was the vaccuum modulator line was cracked and fell off. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    EASY FIX! I thought i was rebuilding another tranny again!

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

WaaHoo! It's pretty badass when people cheer at ya........I wsh people would do that when my welded rear chirps into a gas station....they just look at me like I just landed from Mars. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif