Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilt qjet question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I rebuilt the qjet around a month ago. I have been busy unpacking and cleaning up the new house so I have not been able to mess with the choke problem I am having.
    What can I do to make sure I don't wreck all the new gaskets and seals in the carb while its not running for a long period of time. Will a simple start-up and let it run for 5 miuntes each week be fine? Or what can I do to make sure the gaskets don't break down and rot? I don't have time to deal with the choke/idle right now, and I still need to work on the brakes before its able to drive again. So it will be at least a month or more before I work on it again.

Suggestions?

2. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

that is all i do, I run it every week or so until it reaches operating temp. Keeps the belts and Battery healthy too

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what I have to do!

I have to start my trucks about once a week to keep everything lubed and the batteries charged too..I noticed my 79 C10's Edelbrock performer had a hesitation when I used it the other day to do a dump run--I think the accelerator pump might have dried out from it sitting idle for a few weeks--got much better after I drove it awhile..

My biggest dilema lately is keeping air in my tires!..for no apparent reason,they go flat once in a while after sitting--must be rim leaks,maybe temparature changes,or someone is letting the air out!.. :mad: ...nothing like getting in your truck to go somewhere in a hurry,and you discover a tire is flat!.. :mad:

I found the best way to preserve a carb thats off the vehicle is to submerge it in a 5 gallon pail about 1/2 full of diesel fuel or kerosesne--keeps the zinc from turning white,and keeps the accelerator pump wet so it wont dry out and crack or shrink.. :crazy:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you worrying way too much, youll be fine although really its a gamble, but if the gaskets are new and everything then dont worry,

but if youre that apranoid then you can rmeove the carb and spray WD 40 soak the gaskets and put back together, it only takes a few minutes to do(if youve been inside alot of carbs and know them inside and out)

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ill see how my time goes, I may spray it with wd40. Depends on how comfident I am :doah: