Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilt vs crate motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bikejunkie, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

Hello guys! I have a big problem. I have a huge mod list for my 85 k5 and a rather small budget. I'm debating on rebuilding my tired 350, or should I opt for the new crate motor. Getting the motor rebuilt locally will cost about $1400 out the door, and the crate will cost me around $3400. I understand that the new crate motor will come with a longer warranty and new parts ofcourse. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend. If I go with the rebuilt motor I can buy my lift and wheels, and a few extra goodies. On the other route I'll be waiting a while to upgrade the suspension. Please help. thanks.. Buy the way, does anyone know of any good motor shops near Austin, TX?? later

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you can afford $3400, maybe go buy a 3/4 ton truck with a good motor and switch everything over and then sell the truck. A local motor rebuild should be OK if the shop is a decent one.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

At least if you get a crate engine, it will have a warranty on it.

What is this $3400 crate engine you are looking at? Whats wrong with a replacement 350 crate engine? Those can be had for around $1800.

4. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

Thatk30Guy
    Well I believe the $1800 replacement motor was around 260 hp, I was looking for a little more power, I was taling to a guy a shop locally and he said he could get me a crate motor runing 310 hp installed for that price. Maybe I should go with the direct replacement motor and just do headers and other small mods to get more out of it.

Sandman
    Thanks for the reply aswell. I'm thinking in the future I'm trying to buy a 3/4 ton axle of this guy at a local junk yard. Its from a newer Chevy that was wrecked . I'm not sure how long my 10 bolt f&r will hold up to 35''. I have a heavy right foot. Later

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if you want the warrantee get the $1800 crate engine... for $3400 bag the crate, and rebuild your with custom parts. you could do heads & intake, and still save yourself $1000 +.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the $1,800.00 crate motor and see if any CK5 members in your area will help ya go the motor swap !!!!!!! Hella cheaper and alot funner then paying a shop to do the install !!!!!!!

7. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

i just put that 350 create motor with 260hp in my 85 jimmy and it was $1400 from the chevy dealer. it sure has alot more power that that old 305 i had it it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Agree as well. The 265 hp is all I need, plenty of spunk. Here are other options to make your decision even more difficult!

http://www.goautocenter.com

9. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Had my goodwrench 350 in for 10 months and love it. $1,400
    from the dealer.

10. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

What's the part number for the engine you had installed at the dealer? Thanks!

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status