Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recall on '79 blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, May 6, 2001.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Recall on \'79 blazers

I just got a recall in the mail saying the plastic fans on the original motors of the '79 blazers were defective. how bout that 22 years later and the find out the fans defective. If anyones still has the original motor and the original fan chevy will replace it for free. 22 yrs!! something tells me if you still have the original motor and haven't had problems after this long, theres a ggood chance you probably won't. Anyways I just thought it was amusing.

2. K5krazy

K5krazy Registered Member

Re: Recall on \'79 blazers

Are you sure it's not a joke of some sort? Like you said, after twenty two years they figure this out!? Sounds more like the government than General Motors.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have seen this posted in several forums.
    Most likely GM is gettin sued and put out this notice to keep from gettin hasseled any more.
    see ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

4. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

I got one of these too, I think there trying to get you in and either sell you other parts or since you're driving a 20 plus year vehicle sell you something new or newer. Just my thoughts, Iceman.

5. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

I got the same letter in the mail last week about my 79' Chevy Pick-up. I thought it was real. funny because my 79' is sitting in the garage right now stripped down to the frame getting ready to be used for another project. I couldn't find the fan blade if you put a million bucks in front of me.

Todd Miller
    Lake tahoe, CA

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

My 79c30 has one of the offending fans....am I going to change it?....nah hasent blown up yet and I drive the thing like a baby carrige

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a 77 and i got the same recall but my fan is not the one being recalled

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

8. Ancient_4X4

Ancient_4X4 Registered Member

I got a 77 too, how do I know if my fan is one of the ones being recalled?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It Looks like GM is checking the DMV records to find the trucks. I got one for both my 75 and 79. If you read the notice it states "On trucks with 350cid engines NOT equiped with factory air".
    It is a flex fan that was used on those vehicles and the form a stress fracture where the blade is rivited on. This is a age problem not a how you drive problem. I'm pretty sure these are solid mount fans with no clutch. I have seen pictures of trucks with fan blades sticking through the hood. I think there was an aftermarket fan out that also was comming apart for the same reason.
    If it were my truck I'd be ditching it if I had one and getting the clutch style fan. I'm thinking of going electric anyway. Seems that Ford uses a HUGE electric on all the late model T birds, some Lincolns and mustangs. Very beefy set up. Much better than any aftermarket unit I have seen. Looks like it will fit without much problem at all.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>