Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Received my axle guts... but have issues...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ordered a bunch of parts from Drivetrain Direct on Wednesday (R&amp;Ps, ARB, 35 spline outers and hubs for the D60, install kits, etc.), they arrived today, but it appears that one box split in transit and some parts fell out. I'm dealing with them right now to see what they're going to do about it, it looks like the box was not packed very well and that's the reason that this happened. I will update this to let everyone know if DD is good to their customers, or whether they give me the runaround... </font color>

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow, that sounds like you spent some cash.........but it's a good thing though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I hope you get the issues resolved with them, I have "heard" that they have good customer service, so keep us posted to confirm/deny this.

Thanks, and good luck!

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan, did you note the split open package on the freight tag?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Right now they gave me two options, I can wait until the UPS claim goes through and then tehy'll send me new parts, or I can pay for the parts and they'll send them out now, then reimburse me when the claim goes through. Neither option works for me, so we'll see what happens.

Bruce, I recieved the box at work, so the shipping department signed for it. I doubt they noted it, they're a bunch of potheads that don't give a damn.</font color>

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I used to work at a dealer that shipped a lot of parts every day. The 2 options your were given sound right (unfotunately) for this type of situation. I would check to see if you recieving dept made note of the box being "damaged". If they did not be careful, the shipper has no responsibilty to you (unfotunately - again) because the package was sign for as being in good condition.

It may be possible to make a concealed damage claim with the carrier.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I worked for UPS for a while. They're going to say it was improperly packed. They always do. They denigh most shipping damage claims.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I would call the credit card company and put a claim on this so you don't have to pay till it gets resolved. That will put a little extra pressure on the shipper and cover your butt if they refuse to take care of you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bruce - Yeah, that's been my experience too. This box looks like it wasn't packed very well, so I'm sure that they're going to deny it. I'm taking the "poor me" approach with DD right now, if that doesn't work then I'll start being a dick. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif The credit card charge has already gone through, but I'm going to let them try to take care of me right before I do anything like that. Gotta at least give them a chance to help me out here...

John - The options would be acceptable if the box looked like it had been packed well, but it looked like it was done pretty carelessly, there was no packing material to take up the extra space in the box so all the parts must have been banging around in there and split it open. I talked to them again a couple of minutes ago, the guy is going to talk to his manager to see what they can do for me...</font color>

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here's the latest - they're sending me the parts that were missing at no charge, BUT the guy said that if UPS denies the claim that they're going to have to charge me for the parts. There was kind of a "nod nod, wink wink" undercurrent to the charging me for the parts part of what he said. He said that since I did everything right by calling them right away and not unpacking the box or anything, as well as sending them pictures of the box, that it should all work out OK.

All I can say is that if they do end up double charging me for the parts I am going to be extremely pissed. BUT, that hasn't happened yet, so for now I'm happy, they took care of me and that's all I can ask. As of right now they get a thumbs up in my book.</font color>

10. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I had similar experience with them. Seems like they are pretty careless with the packaging. I ordered over $1000 in stuff from them and most of the boxes were totally destroyed when they arrived. A D44 gear set was just clanking around in the box. They seem to think that paper and single corrugated boxes are adequate for heavy parts, when they should be crating the parts and using the spray in foam. Fortunately, I didn't loose anything and after close inspection we determined that no major damage was done.

I worked for a shipping store for a couple years. UPS can be a pain to process claims, but one thing I learned is that if you complain enough they will eventually pay the claim even if it was packaged poorly. Also, business law is that the seller is responsible for the items until you receive them. There is no way they should try to make you pay for the parts again and have to wait on the UPS claim. It is their responsibility to get the part to you, even if UPS screws up, it's not your fault. The follow up with UPS is entirely their duty and they should not inconvenience you during that time period. The only way you can get yourself stuck with some liability is if you sign off on the package before checking it out. If they just drop it on your doorstep, you still are not accountable.

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

If they want money for the new parts , tell em you **LOST** the money order /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear about the missing part, but glad you got replacements. i got the package you sent me. seems that all the hub parts are there. you got a plus from me.

ARQ.

PS: nice packaging /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Wow, the fates are really aligning against me on this one! I got the hubs and stubs today, but one of the hubs was assembled incorrectly and bound up halfway to the free position. I took them apart and found the problem though, so it wasn't as bad as if I had to return them. Anyways, UPS is picking up the damaged box for inspectino tomorrow, I should know what's going to happen by Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I don't need any more headaches on this! </font color>