Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

receiver hitch for a 1st gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by danwitz, Jan 27, 2006.

1. danwitz

danwitz Newbie

new owner, 1st post...

Somehow I just assumed a tow package for these trucks would be easily available. Mysteriously, not. Now..I'm desperate, I gotta get the boat outta the back yard. Any advice? Anyone have a class II or III receiver hitch for their 1st gen? Did any company ever make them? Any advice how to get one? ANYONE HAVE ONE TO SELL ME? Failing that, is there something structural I should know before I have my local street-rod hipsters fabricate me something?

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I have a hitch manufactured by Redline installed on my 69 K20.

receiverhitch.jpg

3. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

The problem is the gas tank takes up all the space for a hitch to bolt to. I have seen some fabbed up that bolt to the bottom of the frame rails but you have to either drop the tank to bolt them up or make the brackets go far enough back to clear the tank.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Does it bolt to the bottom of the framerail? Did you have to drill any holes? How many mounting bolts are there?

Thanks.

5. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I have a class IV I took off my 89 Blazer. Has 3 bolt mounts on each side. I can take a pic of it and post if you like. Not sure if it would work or not.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, but I have one from an '89 also. I was asking more about the mounting on the 67-72 trucks.

7. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

I'm following this tread just because I need to change over to a receiver also. My 72 has a stock "tongue" sticking out with a 2" ball on it, but after I lift the thing it will become useless. I once saw an article in a magazine at the newsstand where they put a hidden receiver hitch behind the license plate on a 2 wheel drive 1st Gen Blazer. It was in Truckin or Custom Classic Trucks or one of those magazines. Come to think of it, the brand name may have been Hidden Hitch. I'll research it and get back to you all.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I built a "hidden hitch" for mine (see gallery pics below)

But I know that Early Classic Enterprises sells a hidden hitch design that works on the 1st Gen Blazers....

It's at least a Class III, might even be class IV.

:usaflag:

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    www.LMCtruck.com
    Class III rating for towing up to 5,000 lbswith a 500 lb toungue weight. Hitch is easty to install with minimal drilling. Corrosion resistanct powder coat polyester black paint finish. Standart 2" reciever. Part # 38-1770 $139.95

I have no idea how good or bad they are just looked it up in the catalog I had sitting here.

10. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

The LMC hitch is for the pickups, not the Blazer.

I bought the hidden hitch from Early Classic Enterprises. It's made to fit the '69-72 style Blazer (it has shorter frame attachment bars to clear the gas tank). If you buy the kit it comes with a flip-up for the license plate, a plug-in style harness for the trailer lights, and an extended drawbar to reach out beyond the bumper for $209. The receiver alone is $159:

http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

It's a Class IV, 6000 lb hitch.

11. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Do you have it installed? I was told that you have to remove the angle brackets on the insides of the rear shackle mounts. Curious if that's the case?

12. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

It uses two bolts per side and the middle attachment point is welded. I had it mounted so I can't tell you if they had to drill the holes.

P5020006crop.jpg

bed39.jpg

13. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

69TowRig has the correct site. I gotta get me one of those. It should improve clearance over the stock hitch.