Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

receiver mounted winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Mar 14, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if it is possible to mount a winch on a removable plate w/square tubing to be able to put the winch in the front or back receiver of your rig. You could run the cables to the front or back and leave it in the back of your truck while not in use. Sometimes its nice to have a winch in front and back. Any thoughts?

Also, what types of winches are best for our trucks? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Clicky
    this what your lookin for? its what i'm eventualy getting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[​IMG]

WHABAM!

Milemarker E12K Winch
    Cradle And Cables I Bought From[green]Mudzer[/green]

I built the reciever and rear bumper

The winch fits in there great, I had to drill new holes in the fairlead for alignment though. The control box isn't mounted to solidly, so I'm going to weld a tab on to bolt it to, instead of it being clamped onto the winch. When the winch cycles it rubs the wire on the box.

Better be a big buff type guy though, the unit is HEAVY! I'd have a hell of a time carrying it a block even. Not that i can even run a block but.....

ANYWHO

Oh yeah it's on quick disconnects so easy front and rear attactchment

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I couldn't find a price for the multi mount system on the warn website. How much does one cost? (When I bought my used warn HS9500 it came on a multi mount - that I won't be using sice i'm getting a winch bumper. and I want to know how much I can sell this thing for)

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've seen the 9.5ti multi mount go for a grand or so low end including winch.. if you do sell it, let me know first, i might be intrested

6. B_to_C

[ QUOTE ]
    i've seen the 9.5ti multi mount go for a grand or so low end including winch.. if you do sell it, let me know first, i might be intrested

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
    I guess I got a good deal then. The guy put it on his ram, used it once, then sold it to me for $500 including the full warn accesorry kit in that red bag. What I would actually be selling is just the mount that the winch bolts to and pulgs into the receiver...the winch is going on my bumper /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. B_to_C

(as it sits now...until I have the cash for a bumper /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

[​IMG]

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haven't bought a winch yet but I'm all set up for multimount. I've got front and rear receivers and all the cabling done with 2/0 wire and 350amp connectors.

I made the plate out of 1/2" thick plate. It's 8"x14". The tube is 3/16". It's got 1/2" triangles going between the tube and plate and then 3/16" thick 2.5" angle iron at the front and rear so it'll sit flat when I set it down. The angle iron didn't need to be on there.

It'll have handles once I choose a winch.

The 5/8" hole in the tube is the weak link according to all the "professionals" I talked to that build crap. I think the receiver will break loose before the tube splits.

It cost about $30 to build.

I don't know what it weighs but a sufficient answer would be "a lot".

[​IMG]

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I love your sig /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If I were to make one, I would use two receivers, one on each end, instead of a single receive in the middle. If you pull from the side and you are good and stuck, that single receiver may not hold.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've looked into that (2 reciever thing). They seem to be hard to make right, and add a bit of weight to the assembly, plus if you want to have a regular 2" hitch, it will have to be off center or you'll need three reciever. Plus it's pretty much a fab job only for 2, anyone can buy and bolt on 1.

Oh yeah

Since I have a flatbed I'm going to make side mounts for mine sometime, incase I have to unflop myself
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were to make one, I would use two receivers, one on each end, instead of a single receive in the middle. If you pull from the side and you are good and stuck, that single receiver may not hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you mention that because that is how I am building my front and rear bumpers. There will be 2 receivers spaced maybe 16" apart and centered. Then I will make a hitch to slide into the receiver for when I need to tow anything. I am also making the 2 receiver winch mount that can go in the front or back.

I was thinking of making a full package of 2 bumpers, hitch and winch mount, and swing out tire carrier for the rear bumper and try to sell it but I'm not sure if anyone would want to buy it as a package like that would easily cost over a grand.

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The two receiver mount would not be any harder to fab than a single receiver mount.

As far as a weight increase goes, you may be talking about 2 extra pounds to the bumper and the same for the stinger. And when your talking about a 100 lbs bumper, that extra weight is nothing.

You would have to fab it up though, but isn't that half the fun of working on your rig?

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, it would be a bit harder since the 2 receivers would need to be (almost) perfectly parallel. Even just a little pull from welding could make it very difficult or impossible to get the mount in and out by hand. On the up side, it should be stronger with the receivers near the frame horns.

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I think the benefits outweigh the slightly more difficult fab and install. However, the single receiver would probably be enough for most people. Especially if you strategically place a snatch block or two.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

In general, I agree. I was just commenting on your earlier statement that a "two receiver mount would not be any harder to fab than a single receiver mount".

But in any case, I've kicked around a similar idea myself. I like the idea of being able to use a single winch for my truggy (front and rear) as well as my trailer, and maybe even my tow rig and the “family” 1 ton K5. For side loads, which are pretty much a certainty on the trail, a single mount will want to twist and can lead to problems with a badly stuck and heavy rig. Having a single receiver mount “in bending” is not the best idea. So I've considered multiple receivers (2 or even 3) and extra supports for a single. When talking about multiple receivers, and multiple *identical* mounting locations (potentially on multiple vehicles) then the difficulty of getting them all compatible becomes more significant. Currently, I'm favoring a single receiver with outriggers that lock onto the "bumper" outboard of the receiver to deal with side loads and tortional forces. Simpler to fabricate, and it still leaves you with a centered mount when you want/need it.