Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recent 4x4 / camp trip. **56K warning**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by badmix, Mar 3, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

**this is my post from another boards that this camp was generated from, so the names are the names from that boards not this one. Just easier to copy/paste than to retype it all. lol.

Welp Im home, its be an interesting 2 days for sure and surprisingly some lessons learned. Ill let each person post their critic of event. Heres mine:

Meet everyone around 10:30, the only one that I wasnt sure of was Fosters, he didnt show up by 11:30 so we left. We hit the trails for a few hours. Went thru a few water spots, some mud and lots of sand. To say the trail was NARROW was an understatement.

Our first temporary casulty was Jonas. His truck just died on him. At first we thought it be the water crossings, but those happened way earlier. Well, I just happen to have a 2001 Cherokee and from past experience have learned that the BATTERY is critical in the running of these vehicles. So after a eureka moment, I had them check the positive terminal, sure enuff it was loose. I suggested they clean up the terminals and tighten it all down. After this minor repair we were good to go (for that day anyways. lol)

AFter joy riding without any more drama, we ventured over to Juniper springs campground, we were just goin to setup shop in the woods, but it is so dense and with 5 big ass trucks, thought it be best to go somewhere with some room. The campground is very nice , okay priced. We got 3 spots (2 trucks per.). After gathering up some firewood , a few of us went on a nature walk and that was pretty entertaining. Later that nite we just chilled around the fire and Played "Chase the raccoons away" LoL.

The rain started to fall around 1am-ish. I was using yet again a cheapo one man tent. It had rained on and off all nite long. Well after about 4-5 hours, my tent had more water inside than outside. lol. It leaked from not only underneith but from every single seal on it. And no I didnt seam seal it. lol. dunno if that wouldve helped or not.

I used a thermarest self inflating mat with my wiggys zero degree bag. I was very comfy and warm. This is a zero degree bag and it was about 45 or so at nite. I wasnt cold nor was I burning up in the bag. So Id say that their zero bag isnt ZERO rated (this was kinda confirmed during my WV xmas trip. Now im convinced its useless below 20degrees.)

Food was just normal backpacking stuff. I packed lite this trip around.

Sat morning we got up. Alot of the other peeps slept in for awhile, fine by me. After breakfast was made, we broke down camp and headed to the trails. A couple left early due to illness. No reason to be miserable bouncing all over the trails, etc.

Now this is where things get interesting. We decided to hit some trails in the same area as Friday, but different ones. We went up this one trail and see this big ass tent with some wacko outside of it with a MOUNTAIN of bread by the side of the road. [​IMG] As we ventured another couple hundred yards we were met with the oddest group of freaks we had ever seen. This was a public trail with full access, but these ppl had the trail blocked with they POS RVs and pitbulls chained to them. These ppl were dressed in Long Black leather trenchcoats and cowboy hats , I **** you not. As we approached in our trucks the mob headed our way. Instead of trying to bluff our way past them, we turned around and just beat feet out. This was one time, I felt very nekkid without some real firepower. There was alot to critic about this situation and be interesting to go over some time. (These ppl reminded me of the movie, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, lol).

We got a 1/2 mile or so down the road and all of a sudden my brake peddle wouldnt move, it was stiff as a board. Being the tail truck, I was able to slow down and get it stopped. After much discussion we found the Brake Booster Vacuum Check Valve was broken. Im guessing this is the org. one in my 1984 Blazer. So we did some Shade tree mechanic repair and got me brakes. The rain was getting ready to start pouring so we decided to take our losses now. Me and RockHind headed to the autostore to get me my part and he needed to get some things. And then we just went our merry ways.

It was a short trip but well worth it and I had a great time. Id like to thank everyone that showed up:

Jonas
    Cuda
    RockHind & Wife
    TL697 & Cassie
    Ferox

It was a pleasure to meet everyone and hangout.

The Ironman award goes to TL697 for sucking it up and coming out while sick

The Macgyver & Long haul award goes to Rockhnd (he fixed my stuff and drove long ways to play)

The Nav award goes to Cuda and Jonas, we never got lost. lol.

And Ferox, we'll make a 4x4er out of you yet. lol. You did well for your first outing.

Id say one of my biggest gripes was Communications. We had a crap load of FRS/GRMS and CBs and couldnt get them all linked up. Not sure what the solution is, but youd think they all would be on the same freqs and what not. I was dissapointed in my CB, trying to talk to Jonas didnt go well, It was spotty at best, sometimes it would work well and other times it wouldnt. Ill have check my antenna wire and base, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Typical Fla Trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Natural springs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning while it was still raining.

[​IMG]

Trail riding.

[​IMG]

Group pic. Missing is the Dodge Ram and the Jeep

[​IMG]

LoL..My ghetto rigged part. It held up for a good 10miles or so. I firmly believe I couldve gotten home (about 2hours away) with this setup. It is a nice combo of superglue and RTV sealant.

[​IMG]

More pics to follow............

Here is a lil video to entertain you while we wait...............

(might have to hit refresh to get it to play good, turn up your speakers for this one. lol)

media.putfile.com/4x4trip

2. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Looks like fun. I wish I could get out more and do stuff like that.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

looks like fun. i need to get the hell outta the crib... cool pics

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Way cool man, way cool

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Looks like a blast!

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That looks like a great short trip.

7. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

hey man..where was that at. im headed to ginny springs in about 2weeks...but just for a weekend of camping. wish i could go wheelin too!!! was that ocala??

8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah it was south of 40 in Ocala NF. We camped at Juniper Springs which is on the north side of 40.

9. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

awesome man....looks like i may plan my next trip to there....i can't wait to go to ginny in 2weeks . i think it's spring break, so all the females will be up there too. haha

10. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Here is me doing the field repair work. lol. Nothing worse than hood up on the trail.

[​IMG]

11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats cool man, i havent been camping in so long