Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recent truck mods completed! Pics inside!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Here ya go:

14FF installed with discs, and 410s (for now)
    8 lug outers back onto my D44 and 4:10s swapped back in but with the Trutrac
    38x12.5 TSLs (borrowed for now)
    new look

Mike

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gj... and its black! best color for a k5...ever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

j

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The link worked huh? I wasnt sure if I had done it right. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually the truck is dark blue. It was just a lousy cloudy snowy day! Hehe
    Winter is here.

Later
    Mike
    BTW, there are three pics in that album of the 'new look'. Check them out!

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Lookin good man!
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what are your specs boss? and I must get the story on the steering system.

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

How do those 4.10's work with the 38's? Is it usable w/ low range? Only asking because I'm temporarily going to run the same gears and 38.5's... I'd just like to know what I'm in for. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif(sorry for the hijack /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Lookin good man! I'm not sure that front bumper is quite large enuf though... perhaps I can send a few 80# bags of concrete for you to stack on top of it or something! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Just kidding man! It looks TOUGH! What did you do for the snorkel? I've gotta get one on my rig sometime... and my last one flopped...

-Dan

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, good comments. Soo many questions tho! Heh

First off, the specs:
    327 ci, SM465, NP205, D44 front w/ trutrac, 14FF rear soon to be welded, 4:10s for now, around 5.5" lift in the rear, 5" in the front, 3" body, wheelwells all cut, still rubbing the front 38s.

Next, the bumper:
    Actually, its weight without the 8274 is about 50lbs I think. Its only a 5/16 plate winch plate (stock Warn winch mount center section), with 2 pieces of 6" channel extending out to each side, cut up to an angle and a little wrap around. Its not heavy at all.

Next, the snorkel:
    Its homemade, attaches to the stock corrugated plastic intake tube, protrudes thru the fenderwell, and is bent in one spot so it is vertical at the top. Cost be about 35.00 total. Its all 3" PVC except for the adapter up to 5" sewer for the join to the stock intake tube.

Next, the gearing:
    I had 35s with the 4:56s. That was awesome. I had to remove the 4:56s temporarily until I can afford the gears for the 14FF, so I have 4:10s. Then I added the 38s. I tell ya, the difference is huge. Its not doggish, I have a strong 327 under the hood, but its sure a lot different than the other setup. With the 465, I find myself driving around town in 2nd at 2000rpm rather than 3rd at 1500rpm before. In 4lo, it seems ok in lo granny, and driveable in lo/ 2nd and 3rd. I dont think I would be trying to crawl any rock trails, it would prolly be a pain in the a$$.

Upcoming plans:
    I still have no idea what I am doing as far as tires goes. The 38s I have are 16.5s and are borrowed for now. I dont particularly want 16.5s, I want to be able to air down below 25psi! I am also really wanting 39.5s. There is a set of 39.5x18-15 Boggers for sale near me, but they are awfully wide. I think I will be starting a post about tire width... I am a little mixed up what I want right now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Later
    Mike

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

where the 38s rubbing? My k5 has 4" lift front and I trimmed out and want to run 38s but I doubt I will. Probably go with 36s for just now cuase I plan on going much more extreme next year.

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you like the 39.5 boggers why not just get the 38.5x15x15 like what I'll be running. They're a little narrower and 1" shorter but they're really cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Well, $100 cheaper than a 39.5x18 anyways. I think you can get a set of 4 for about $900 new... that's not too shabby.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lookin bad ass my friend!

12. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here ya go:

14FF installed with discs, and 410s (for now)
    8 lug outers back onto my D44 and 4:10s swapped back in but with the Trutrac
    38x12.5 TSLs (borrowed for now)
    new look

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]That's a mighty fine rig you got there dood. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I really like it too. Your truck is looking really good! As to the tires rubbing, I've got 9" or so and I can't seem to keep mine from rubbing up front either. I guess a little extra sawzall work never hurt anyone.

I have 4.10s and 38s and have no complaints. I'd have 4.56 or 4.88 if I had my choice, but I really don't have a problem with the 4.10s. It cruises nice on the highway and with a 6.55:1 first in the 465 I never really have a problem crawling nice and slow.

14. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got 9" or so and I can't
    seem to keep mine from rubbing up front either.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup... I dont see how these guys can run 4" with 38s and 'minimal' fender trimming. I have cut right back to the fender inner, but I will definately have to cut back to the firewall. Im not against cutting, I just dont want to wreck tires! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I might be picking up some 5:13s for mine... I want just a bit extra crawl out of her.

Thanks for the comments.
    Mike

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I did cut all the way to the firewall...I beat my inners back and bolted them straight to the cab floor. I still have rubbage.

I wish I knew what y'all were doing to make big tires fit with no lift. I probably could pull these 38s off with 6" now that I'm hacked. I suppose we'll find out when I take my body lift off.

16. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Its all in the back spacing on your rims, I run 4" fender trimmed and get no rub, just to help you out.

Jordan