Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recentering hummer rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Aug 30, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I recently got a set of 12 bolt hummer rims with rubber run flats. I am looking to recenter them and was wondering everyone's opinions.

Where should I get my new centers? I like the fact that the USA6x6 ones are "pressed", but how much does that really matter? My truck will see the highway some.

Should I send them off to be recentered or just buy the centers and have them done locally at a machine shop?

How necessary are rock rings (like the ones Diy4x sells)? Do H1 wheels bend easily?

How much backspacing would you recommend? I'm going to run 39.5x15x16.5 TSL's on 6" of lift. I would like to keep from moving the axle forward if possible. Is this possible without moving the axle?

And finally, should I run the rubber runflats? I won't have a spare for a while, plus they're already there.

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks in advance.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just finished up recentering my h1s. I bought the centers from 6x6 and new orings. I was going to do 3 1/2" backspacing but when I got into it, the new centers will sit flush on the lip @ 3 3/4" so thats what I went with. I just cut the old centers out and welded in the new ones. I've got the mag runflats but I cut the back bone off. I've heard that the rubber inserts are more trouble than any of the others, I don't know. I still haven't mounted the tires on yet but maybe this weekend.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Here are the USA 6x6 centers with 39.5" tsls

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Did you have them recenter them or did you do it yourself? Did you keep the runflats or go PVC? What backspacing did you go with? Any chance you could post a picture of them mounted on your truck, so I can see where the tire sits in relation to the fender with whatever backspacing you decided on?

Thanks,
    Josh

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a setup that you don't need to recenter them...it comes with hubs and a fitted spacer that you bolt the rim to...if you have the dana 60 front I also have the DRW hubs...I'm moving to a new house and I'm trying to clear some stuff out...

[​IMG]

6. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm interested. What kind of money are we talkin' about?

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Tony's wheel spacers

I'm interested in the spacers also. I'm running a van width 14 bolt on a 76 K5 and have the hummer rims ready to go. Some questions:

What are they made of?
    How wide is each one...for my application?
    Hardware included?
    How can I contact you besides this board?
    Price and shipping to 38135
    :bow:
    Best email to reach me is dkrier@usps.gov

Thanks, Dan

8. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

i have 15x39.5x16.5 tsls on hummer wheels with spacers and 6" of lift and my front axle is moved 2" forward and my rear is moved back 3" and i havent rubbed yet, but i do have long bumpstops. but when i go slap on the 42s it does rub quite a bit, and you can forget about not cutting the fenders, its a must. just my 2 cents.......

ryan

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You running a van width 14 bolt? How thick are your spacers? I have a 6" lift also.

10. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i was told...

that a drw spacer will work also!

11. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

no its not a van width, just a standard pickup. believe it or not i am running 3" spacers :eek1: , but it clears everything, doesnt rub the fenders or the springs. it actually makes the hummers 7" of backspacing 4", just like most 15 and 16 inch wheels. ive never had a problem with the spacers or with bearings, so i have no plans to throw them out. its just key to check the torque on the spacers quite often since they are aluminum and everything else is steel.

ryan

12. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

??????????

where did you get you spacer, i was told to use a drw spacer to get them to fit.

13. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing with my h1s and the pressed centers. Did it myself and I have no issues with them. THey are pretty staright but off by a tad. No biggie for me since they are trailered everywhere.