Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recentering my own Hummer wheels....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Anyone wanna clarify this for me? Rene maybe? Shaggy?

Would it be as simple as cutting out the old centers and welding in new ones at xxx back spacing? Seems to me like a pretty simple project for the most part. I have access to variable speed positioners for doing the continious non-stop weld. I'm also aware of the presision that is required to make them fuction and balance properly- So I don't need that info. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've never seen a stock hummer wheel in person, So I'm not sure if there's more too it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yep, hack out the old center and weld the new one in. You'll need to trim the new one to fit at the backspacing that you want. The rim shell is kind of bell shaped, it has a larger ID on the inside. When you buy the centers they are sized to fit in there with something like 2" of BS, so if you want to have more BS then the new center needs to be trimmed down to get it to seat farther into the shell. It should be pretty easy for someone that can weld as good as you can. A lathe would work great for cutting the original center out, just cut it off at the point where the inside edge of the lockring is. As for making a simple jig, I would suggest just getting a piece steel tube, maybe 10" in diameter or so, cut the length to the same measurement that you want your BS to be and ensure that it's square. Anything that you can make the same thickness as you want your BS to be would be fine though. Take the tube that's cut to size, set it on a flat work table, set the center on it, then set the rim down on top of it and tack the shell to the center. Nothing fancy, but I would think that it would make a pretty square rim. You probably have fancier ways of doing thiese things though.

3. Zeus33rd

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It's pretty much as simple as I figured it would be. This is cool. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Where can you buy centers? I didn't know you could buy them seperate and all ready made. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

There are a few guys on PBB that sell them. USA6x6, Rockstomper, probably 20 other places these days. Just make sure to get ones that are cut by something that's CNC controlled so you know that the centers are actually in the center. Also if you can get some that already have the lug seats chamfered in then it'll make your life much easier.

5. Zeus33rd

Hmm, Well centers are $50 ea from USA6x6.

[​IMG]

Not sure if I want to order from him though, considering all the recent drama. Any other place that sells them?

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check with Johns351C over at POR, he has nice centers and is great to deal with. Also contact Wheels by Troy.. He has awsome centers!!!!!

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here's what I am debating... why not go to dually hubs in front, and spacers (or a DRW 70 if you're lucky) in the rear? Centers are $50, which is $200+ shipping etc. I can get dually hubs for $75ea (w/o bearings) and then the spacers are like $80 each for nice aluminum ones.

What do I do?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    -Dan

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If I did it all over again I would go with the DRW front/ D70 rear with SRW hubs and stock Hummer wheels. If I come across a DRW D70 for free or super cheap I would consider getting it to build up for a future swap.

9. KRAZIE87K5

REALLY... interesting. I've always thought that running the DRW stuff is cool. K5BLT4FUN has DRW and hummers, and I think its sexy! So I'd like to go DRW, but the cost is killin me. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

how far are your hubs going to stick out doing that?

11. KRAZIE87K5

Which hubs? Bearing hubs? Or like the [WARN] hubs? You know I'll be running flanges too...

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The hubs don't stick out any farther overall on a DRW hub than a SRW. Basically the only protrusion is the cap on the locking hub, so it would still be farther in then the edge of the rim. It's not like running stock Hummer wheels on a SRW 60 where the hubs stick way out.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Correct, the actually locking hub sits at the same place (like if you measured from the knuckle out to the end of the locking hub) between the SRW and DRW front hub assemblies. Otherwise you would have to have much longer stubshafts with DRW.

14. KRAZIE87K5

Agreed, all that changes from SRW bearing hub to the DRW bearing hub is the WMS position in the casting. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure if I want to order from him though, considering all the recent drama. Any other place that sells them?

[/ QUOTE ]

66CJDEAN on PBB sells centers, too. I think he will also weld them in. At least he used too. His centers look good. He has a good rep. on the board.

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think a nice thick plate of aluminum to do the welding on would be good. it could be machined true. then about 6 or so various aluminum pucks machined to the same thicknes used to hold the new center in place. tollerances could be +/- .005 if you wanted to pay the cash. should make for a nice and centered center. would be a bit spendy, but in the end if you decided to do a lot of them it would be worth it.
    Grant

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

STOP...check this out...I'm going to machine a 14FF hub then press a alum sleeve over it that will on one end bolt to the hub and on the other end have the wheel bolt pattern on it...then use the DRW dana 60 hub on the front and no need for recentering them....

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is what I'm thinking about, would add some ribs between the plates to beef it up...
    green is the hub and blue is the spacer... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[​IMG]

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Looks like the beefiest wheel sapcer ever... I would be interested in a set, but have you considered machining an entirely new hub?

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

machining a new hub can be done, but I think guys wouldn't want to pay much for them... the dana 60 SRW hubs that are made new today are cast then machined, these would have to be made from a blank and would be a lot of work
    this is the "REV A" of my spacer...the spacer will be pressed onto the hub to make it solid and have bearing all the way to the outter end...
    green=hub
    red=hub lugs
    blue=spacer
    yellow=wheel lugs

[​IMG]