Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rechargable flashlights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Nov 19, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a 12V rechargable flashlight mounted inside? I remember seeing an article in one of the mags a few years back but I can't find the issue.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Bestbuy sells them.. They look just like a maglite...I can't remember the name of them right know..I priced them about 2 years ago. They were $99.00 each then.. I just bought a mag for $30.00.........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    One word when it comes to 12VDC rechargeable flashlights, STINGER, they are the best, and I have tried just about every rechargeable flashlight sold. Don't like Sure-Fire's, even though they are very bright, but they break easily. And I still own 2 Sure-Fires as Stinger doesn't make a mount for their flashlights for my shotgun yet.
    The Stinger XL kit, with both 110AC AND 12VDC chargers, and a spare battery, runs about $85. Very good quality, very durable, reliable, and really bright, blinding in fact.
    Okay, that's my 2 cents............

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'm on the mag lite approach now, but I'm tired of that dull light syndrome when I need it most. I thought this way I'd never need to remember to buy batteries [​IMG]
    I'll check out Best Buy tomorrow on my way home.

5. gokartergo

I didn't even know you were from San Mateo...I priced it at the bestbuy in South San Francisco...I lived up in San Mateo and Belmont for 12 years. Before I moved back to Hollister...Dan

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

When I worked at the police station, they used to carry the Streamlite flashlights. During the time I was there they decided to go to Stingers and get rid of the streamlights. Well I just happened to aquire 2 of them and they kick arse. The stingers they carried were a little smaller and lighter but the streamlight was just as bright.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

7. gokartergo

Stingers that's the name of them.. I couldn't think of the name........Dan

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The Stinger is made by Streamlight. Those things are BRIGHT. I was sitting in a chair at work with one on my belt and the switch got bumped on but didn't know it. I'm thinking to myself "Man, something is burning" it was the cover over the light! A side note, if you work in an industry where it matters the 3 cell sized Stinger is certified for use in a Class 1- Division 2 Hazardous area, ie around open fuel tanks. If you want a rechargable this is the one to get.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Small world isn't it? I've lived here all my life, but for some reason have never made it down to Hollister ... maybe one day.
    Looks like I'll be going to the same Best Buy that you went to. [​IMG]
    I was looking at the Stinger on the net last night and can't decide which one to get, the 13 inch with 30K candlepower or the 7 inch with 15K candlepower. I want something bright but 13 inches is a bit much, although I will get it if the 7 incher is too weak. Which one do you guys have?

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for the ultimate in rechargeables, go with a Streamlight Lite-Box. pugsley.alloffroad.com

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Never heard them classed by inches. But I am guessing the 7" is the one that is the 3 C-cell equivelant. Just open it up and look at the battery pack inside. If that is the case then it is the one I have and it is very bright.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Yup, Streamlight does make the Stinger flashlights. The XT model to me is the best all around as it is lighter than an Mag, Kel, Bianchi, or other manufacturer. It is also very bright for it's size, and runs for a long time on a single charge (although I have home and auto chargers for mine). They also make the plastic units but they don't seem very sturdy and since my flashlights get abused, the aircraft aluminum units are better. I have heard that the Stinger battery packs wear out in 2 years, but my front-button Stinger is 5 years old and still on the original battery pack. My Stinger XT is 3 years old and it too is working just fine. They WILL blind someone if shined directly into their eyes, and I have heard of cops that use them to do just that to through motorists off balance (during a vehicle stop) so that they do something wrong, and are unable to catch their mistake. Not cool, but then when have vehicle stops ever been a cool way to spend time).

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]