Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recharging AC???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by will89, Apr 19, 2003.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Has anyone recharged their AC with one of the kits from Pep Girls or Autozone? I am debating whether or not to buy a kit for $20 or pay $40+ for a shop to do it. Are there any pitfalls to look out for when using a kit? 89 Sub 350

will

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've used one of those on the Honda. Simple and easy.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I bought the kit to switch over to R134a and it came out to something like $26. It was a piece of cake. I did it about a year ago. A shop wanted $100. Just don't let the neighbor see you release the R12 into the atmosphere. My truck only had about 5psi in it and most of the crap that came out was oil.

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

The biggest concern doing it your self is getting rid of the old freon. If you system has below 20 psi not running, then most of the freon is gone and you could purge the system. Then use the kit. One good thing about the kit is R134 cost about $5 a pound, compared to $40 a pound for R12 and you can buy it with out a license.
    Good luck, Jay /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my system is a r134. How do you remove all of the old freon? And what is the issue if you don't?

6. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I converted my 90 Blazer from the old R-12 to R 134a. I had a AC shop remove the old r12 for free (they reuse it so it's money in there pockets) and then the system will be under vacum ready to take the new R134a and an oil charge.

dan...

7. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I want to do this soon, using a kit, and my question is, can it be used if there is currently no freon in the system and no vacumm? Logically I would think I would have to have vacumm drawn on the system first in order to put the freon in.
    Thanks for any help.

8. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

If your system is already r134 then why do you want to use a kit? What is the problem you are having? As far as removing the freon, most shops will reclaim the freon and reuse it later and only charge you a small amount if its r134, if r12 like opfor2 said they sometimes will not charge. You will need to draw a vacum on the system to recharge it most shops will do that for free if they recover the freon for ya. I think Auto Zone will lend out vacum pumps or now where you could get it done cheap.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is currently no freon in the system and no vacumm? Logically I would think I would have to have vacumm drawn on the system first in order to put the freon in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the system has had no freon for some time then the leak needs to be fixed. Also if sat empty for some time the accumulator/dryer should be replaced, if not leave it on a vaccum pump for a long time to boil the moisture out of the desecant.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, my system is a r134. How do you remove all of the old freon? And what is the issue if you don't?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your system already R-134a? What method was used to convert it over?

Ideally, the old freon is removed by a recapture machine at a local shop. Some people do the redneck method and vent the existing freon into the atmoshpere by pressing in on their schrader valves. If your system has been empty a long time, it should be pumped down with a vacuum pump, in case some air has gotten inside.

Make sure that all leaks are fixed before trying to charge. Be sure that there is no air in the system when the compressor turns on.

The "RIGHT" way to do this conversion is:
    -recover old freon
    -drain old oil out of compressor
    -flush lines and coils
    -replace receiver/drier with one using R-134 compatible desicant
    -replace the O-rings
    -replace the orifice tube with one that is a little smaller (since r-134 molecules are smaller than R-12) or use a VOV
    -put in the NEW kind of oil
    -have the sytem pumped with deep vacuum for an hour or two
    -recharge with R-134a

11. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

spend the time and rent the vacume pump . the more of a vacume you pull and the more mostiure you get out the colder your ac will be. the amount of vacume you can pull will depend on the humidity and temp. but the more vacume the better

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep you need to get the leak fixed first or the kit is worthless! I tried it and it worked great for about a day, then the next day no more 134. So I took out all the A/C stuff and never looked back, there's a lot more room under the hood and you don't even need A/C!

13. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

My a/c worked, but the condensor got wrecked in an accident last year. But the new one is in and there shouldn't be any leaks. But today The guy at the partstore told me that I cannot get a recharge kit of any kind in canada, so I might end up having a garage do it.