Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rechroming items....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 19, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know a fairly general price for chrome plating work? I know this is probably a stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. I need to start shopping for a chrome shop to redo the bumpers and other chrome pieces on our 69 Firebird.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

its not cheap to have things recromed. When i did my 72 Harley I spent over a grand on plating and still have at leat five hundred more to go and that is just the stuff that was crome from the factory

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only things we have to do are, front and rear bumpers, driver side mirror, window trims, and fender "vents", I'm sure it won't be cheap, but the chrome is horrible on all of them so its got to be done.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the prep is expencive.

a bumper would run 500- 700+

depending on the shape and curves of the piece.

if there is any pitting the price will go up, and depending on the prep work it needs.

it would have to go through a nirtic stripper (nasty stuff, disolves human flesh on contact, ask me how i know) then sandded and buffed to remove all scratchs ridges and sworls.

if the pieces are pitted they will ned multipule runs of nickel plate and re buffing to fill them befor the final.

also if the piece is very curvy or has cut outs for lights or somethings, they will need to use auxilery anodes, if they dont would wond get full plateing anf the areas will be yellowish.

so if you want quality dont cheap out.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, I'll start setting aside money for the engine and chrome work. Dad can do the paint.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you could save you self some of the money by useing a flap wheel and sanding the chrome off, and then buffing the nickel it will be yellow tinged as you go throught the less bright layers of nickel, then use an osolating sander to smooth/buff it.

the nickel and chrome is only a couple of thou thick so even little scratches will show.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Any reason not to use new bumpers from someplace like www.yearone.com ? They show a front and rear bumper set for $439. :)

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have no idea what their prices are, but when I worked at Carson, all our stripping and plating (cadmium and hard chrome) was done by North Penn Polishing and Plating. They're local...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forgot about them, they are about 3 miles from my house :haha: I'll have to go talk to them.

wow, ok for the price I might as well buy a new rear bumper, $171... they picture a 69 front bumper but don't list it, haha.