Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reciever hitch on FRONT?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 13, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i have seen reciever hitches on the front of lifted vehicles. can anyone tell me why? thanks.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

to steer trailers or for a winch mount.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i have seen reciever hitches on the front of lifted vehicles. can anyone tell me why? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Useful as a recovery point when wheeling...all you need is a plain receiver tongue with a D-Ring on the end, and you'll have a safe place for a tow strap...

It sure seems like on most trips, I need a pull FORWARD a lot more often than a pull BACKWARDS...

I think if you look carefully, you can even see my setup in the little avitar photo! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Speaking of receiver hitch D-rings ... I've seen a few, sometimes with a bolt-on shackle, but I've not seen just a plain steel bar with a nice big D-ring on it. I'd do it myself but somehow I doubt my little 165amp MIG rig is up to zapping ... plus I don't trust myself yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif [yeah, Greg, I took the plunge! <g>]

Anybody know of a halfway affordable source for said receiver d-ring? [i.e. not someplace that caters to the Hummer crowd] or wanna volunteer to help me find parts and build one?

-- A

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

One of the best things I incorperated into the bumper I built. My Sub will be getting one also but hid behind the license plate. It great for moving around trailers in tight places.
    When I'm pulling the camper I'll proably have a reciever bike rack on the burb.

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ever try pushing a dead vehicle on a trailer?
    With a winch and the reciever on the front you winch the vehicle up and then turn around and tow.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: receiver hitch on FRONT?

they run a multi-mount winch like i do or use it to steer a trailer or recovery point or???????

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    I got mine from 4Wheelparts, I think it was 30 bones. Master Pull also has them.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

also good for the bumper dumper[​IMG]

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, my friend has one, he can move winch front to back and has these nifty plugs for the cables. . . given his daddy buys him EVERYTHING it is pretty cool

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also good for the bumper dumper[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] 'fumes... you just ruined my day. Ducttape and I had been planning that for months and then we finally built one about 4 (?) months ago, we dubbed it the "hitchitter". I'd never seen or even heard of one before that /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif way to ruin my "original" idea /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This has been around for awhile. It was actually one of those things that made it on Leno for stupid products and stuff I think.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...we dubbed it the "hitchitter".

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well now dang, you just [censored] right on the ground, thats kinda messy an't 'it, but id say use your hitchitter still, perhapes try to sell it off unless those people at bumper dumper pantentd the idea real good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif