Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reciever Hitch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, May 16, 2005.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Hi guys i got some questions regarding a reciever hitch for my jimmy.

Do i have to get one specifically for a fullsize jimmy or blazer?

If not what other vehicles would have a reciever hitch that I could mount to my jimmy.(one that is the right width)?

And also would a class 3 hitch be sufficient for pulling out and getting pulled out?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Believe it has to be for a k5, IIRC the frame has a downward dip that only affects the last two bolts that hold it to the frame, so the front bolt surfaces are flat, the rear are angled, and most hitches/frames are flat in both locations.

I've dragged fullsize cars out of ditches before using only the little slots in the hitch itself (instead of the stinger) so I suspect up to a point a receiver will work fine for recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of real hard jerks during recovery might rip the frame though.

Bad thing about at least the stock hitches is that they do a fair number to hurt your departure angle(think thats right) because they are made to fit under the stock bumper. One of the newer "tubular" ones might allow more clearance at the corners, but it still costs you probably 4" right in the middle, if not more. I know starting up and cresting steep mounds the center always drags. Not an issue in dirt, on rock it may be a bigger issue. Makes a great point to use a floor jack though! :)

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

A class 3 is sufficient for recovery assuming recovery is performed correctly. Meaning slow and steady with hard links (wire rope/chain/static straps) or preferably with dynamic snatch straps. Although I wouldn't use the safety chain loops! Buy a proper shackle attachment that slides into the receiver. My Warn winch is a factory Multi Mount that fits into either my front or rear receivers.

4. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys

guess I shouldn't have been yanking so hard with the original hitch :blush:

oh well live and learn.

I'm gonna find something the right width and beefy then fab it up to make it work.

5. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I installed at weld-on unit a few years back on 72 K5. I have not performed a recovery with it, but I did pull a stump with it using a shackle.

Yes, it does lower my departure angle, but the crossbar will make a slick rear attachment point for my new skid-plate to cover the 37 gallon tank.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

My 87 K5 has a class III receiver on it (was there when I bought it). I've been snatched by the hitch a few times and it's held up fine. Heck, the first snatch I did with it was with a big chain hooked up to it, and it was getting tugged on by a Z71 Silverado and he had about a 2-3 foot running start.

Been dragged sideways with a tow rope attached to the receiver... all in all I say it's held up well so far.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status