Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recipes for 40" to 42"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Recipes for 40\" to 42\"

Okay I have all the rust cut out of the fenders (really took a lot out) the front inner fenders are coming out. I don't want to go any larger then 6" if possible. From what I have researched I'm going to need to move the front springs forward? 1.5 with zero rates, the rear is going to be set-up either ORD 4 1/2 and 2 inch Tuff Country or Springer. Again there is a lot of the fenders removed but not all, what else can I look forward to running into? Steering? A Dana will be coming in later as well, I have 35's that I'm going to use until I can afford all the parts necessary for 40's. Just let me know what worked best for everybody .....

Thanks Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Recipes for 40\" to 42\"

uhh 14 bolt out back would be nice. ORD flip gives you 4" not 4 1/2". Besides that seems like you got most of the stuff I can think of down. Hydro steering would be nice check out West Texas Offroad for that, good and cheap.

3. Nitrodrip350

Yep have the 14 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just not in yet. I couldn't remember if it was 4 or 4.5. The Hydro Steering I think is going to be a must, (Death Wobble) I think that West Texas has been about the best price I've seen so far as well.

Thanks Shane

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

6 inch is plenty of lift to run 39'5s im running 5 inch lift, and im yet to rub, Just got to trim the fenders, moving the front axle forward wouldnt hurt, cuz youll also be gaining wheel base.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> From the research I did you can fit them with 6-7" of lift and the front axle relocated 1.5" forward, along with seriously trimmed fenders. I hope this is true since I have 42s in my garage waiting for rims, and they're going on my truck that has 6" springs plus zero rates... Give me a few weeks and I will know for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

The first steering upgrade should be a weld in repair and brace from ORD then go from there. I have 10" of lift and I still rub the fronts occasionally(Yes, my fenders are cut). Maybe consider the echobit shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Here is my recipe----

Seriously cut fenders (see picture below). springs are Tuff country 6" HD leaves, Hill extended shackles (another 1" lift)axle NOT moved foreward but i should. ford shock mounts and deutsch shocks. first time I wheeled the truck w/ big tires i completly tore the box off the frame so I boxed and sleved the frame at the box so at some time you MUST strengthen that area. crossover i would say is a must if you like to get flexxy. (If you havea straight draglink (rod from the box to the knuckle) you should get a new engine crossmember or clearance it because the straight draglink hits when flexxed, or you could just get a bent craglink like the one ORD sells and dont bother w/ it. the big tires put a lot of stress on the steering compontents so i think a hydro asst is also necessary. not only does it take away a lot of the problems of running a big tire (i belive it just covers them up but none the less they are gone ie. death wobble)you can also turn like a champ.

some pics are here
    http://4x4.alloffroad.com/photo3.html

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

We just finished up putting 42's on dan's (Krazie87k5) truck and here's the recipe for it.

Front 6" seriously sagged springs
    Rear Echobit 5.5" shackle flip with stock springs
    Rear ORD Zero rates with 1.5" offset
    1" ORD body lift
    Will be wheeling it this weekend and we'll let you know how it goes.

Search for his username...there's pics of his trim going on somewhere on the board!

9. Nitrodrip350

Yea I was checking that out. Came out really nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Well now that I have some advice lets see how much $$$ it's going to be LOL!!!

Thanks, Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    ...lets see how much $$$ it's going to be...!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Should take all of it....maybe more.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...lets see how much $$$ it's going to be...!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Should take all of it....maybe more.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Definately more. Trust me... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Another thought would be the ORD 1" body lift along with poly mounts. It's not a whole hell of alot, but but would probley be a good idea.