Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recomendations for an OBD 1 scan tool

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., May 11, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone have or know of a good scan tool for the GM ALDL OBD 1 computers? I can't tell much from any of the descriptions of scan tools I find on line, plus most of the sites are pushing the OBD 2 scan tools.

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

unless you were really set on buying one, you can just borrow them from most parts stores. we lend ours out for a day at a time free.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have an AutoXRay scanner. I like it it works good and has saved me a lot of time and money. it has payed for its self many times over.
    It is a very versitile unit it reads and displayes everything the computer is seeing.Trouble codes, Sensor output and values,Engine operating dats like RPM, timing, ect ect.
    Has a 30 second capture mode that you can use while driving the vehicle. This really helps with driveability problems.
    The OBD 1 unit can be simply upgraded at any time to read ford and dodge and also OBD2.
    I upgraded mine to OBD2. Did all over the phone. The scanner is pre programed and they just give you a special code to punch in.
    I have the software package for my PC too. The scanner stores operating data which I can download to my PC to make charts and graphs of my engine performance.I can take a snapshot of the engine when it if operating right. then I have something to compare it to if there is a problem.(very handy for OBD2} I can also download upgrades over the internet.
    Of course the upgrades cost more. But to me they are worth it because I use it a lot.
    I paid 130.00 for mine about 4 years ago they prolly cost more now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Many auto parts stores carry them
    OR
    Go here:autoxray.com
    And check out the GM OBD1 scanner.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another vote for the AutoXray unit. At most places they go for about $200 for one with the GM-OBD1 cable. But I bought one from Checker Auto Parts (Also known as Schucks or Kragen Auto Parts in other parts of the country) for $150. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

If you have a laptop that is at least a 166 Pentium, this is what I use: turbo link It does just about any OBD 1 vehicle, and Ken is making it available to do some OBD 2 cars as well.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The OBD 1 unit can be simply upgraded at any time to read ford and dodge and also OBD2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are buying used (like I did with my autoxray 240) this is apparently not true. The older scanners were probably out before OBD2 was even used, so there would be no way to "upgrade" them. Called autoxray and asked about my unit, and all they could do was offer me some cash for the unit back to upgrade.

I vvote for the winALDL method if you've got a laptop. You get more data, and it's cheaper. Of course, if you are lucky, you may find an OBD1 and 2 reader for cheap as well, with more than just the GM connector. Then you get to help all your ford and dodge buddies out /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status