Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recomendations for Small Block build up book???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hello all I am going to buy a book or two to help me with my 383 High Torque build up.
    What book or books have you'all used or could recomend to use for this build up??
    Thanks [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Burt4x4,
    Hey sorry I don't know of any books, but I was wondering which kit did you decide to go with? The Budget 383 or Mighty Mouse (I think were some of the names). Did they tell you what kind of Specs you can expect after you add the kit? Are you going to replace your heads? I'm curious cause obviously I was looking at doing the same thing.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well I haven't made a choice yet!
    The good thing about getting a shortblock is that it is all balanced and ready. If I scavange for a donor block then by a stroker kit I would need to have it balanced and back and forth to the engine shop.
    That Short Block at SpeedOmotive can be deliverd to my door fully balenced with new dampner and flywheel used in the balancing for 1700 bucks + tax. So that may be gettin kinda pricy but man whata sweet motor that would bee..........
    I have a neighbor friend I still need to talk too that does or use to do allot of race type motors so I haven't made any decisions yet. But hey I have the engine stand!!![​IMG]

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

get the,,,HPBOOKS,,"how to rebuild your small block chevy",,by David Vizard!!!!! it tell's you engine #'s and head #'s and a complete detailed tear down and rebuild step by step...torque specs,clearance specs,# of bolts and their torque order...they have them for small block and big block...
    pepboy's sell's them here and maybe like autozone,,,you may even be able to find them in B.dalton book store..
    they also make a book called "how to hotrod your small block chevy,,this one may be more useful to you but i don't know as i've never had it before

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

John Lingenfelter's book is good. You can pick it up at any larger bookstore (Borders, B dalton, Barnes and Noble) It is up to date and pretty descriptive about the different qualities of various gm and aftermarket parts. I wouldnt use it as an assembly manual though. HTH's

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need to decide what heads you're going to use before you order the short block. Different GM heads have different compression chamber sizes, which will affect the final compression ratio.

I've got '87 Corvette heads on my 383, which only have something like 56cc chambers. I had to use pistons with 18cc dishes to get the compression ratio down below 10:1. Standard pistons would have made my compression too high to run on pump gas.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Harry I've got those same heads waiting for a short block to go together. I plan to biuld the 383; how do the heads do on your setup. I plan on putting TBI on mine. What cam did you go with? I bet its a grunt master. Thats what I want. Oh yea I'm jealous Burt, your getting yours on the way before me. Guess I'll run the poor old 327 a liitle longer. Tommy

Drive it Like You Hate It!

8. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey thanks guys!
    I have be getting dizzy spells trying to figure out witch way to approch this project[​IMG]!! I would love to beable to say that I built the whole thing from scratch. That of corse would be the logest and hardest way to doit and how much money if any would I really save?????[​IMG]

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hi Tommy, I extensively ported and polished the heads before I installed them, so they flow considerably better than stock. I don't remember the cam specs, it's been a long time since the engine was built. Comp Cams had 3 different grinds available for TPI engines. I went with the middle one to get a bit more top end while not giving up too much bottom end. It romps.

There's plenty of bottom end torque for 4-wheeling, but the cam is still agressive enough that you can feel the power suddenly build like crazy around 2500-3000 RPM. It's like the warp drive has been engaged. [​IMG]

Don't spend much money reworking the old 'vette heads. You can get more flow from the new, stock Vortec heads and have all new parts. Sure, they aren't aluminum, but that just means you'll need a half-point or so lower compression so it doesn't ping. Mine ended up with about a 9.8:1 compression ratio, so I have to pay for premium to keep it from pinging (which then causes the ECM to back off the timing). But it's a toy, not a daily driver, so it doesn't hurt the wallet too badly. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try Summit Racing. They have some good books and I believe they even have them listed on their website.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok I got that HP Book: How To Hot Rod a Small Block.
    It covers stroking plus part matching and stuff like that.
    I should get it by Monday.
    Thanks

13. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Burt that is a good book with a lot of information in it. The only thing you should be aware of is it is quiet outdated since it was published in 1976. like i said it has a lot of good info but there are a lot of things that have come about since then so i wouldn't use that as my only source.