Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommend a dual sport motorcycle

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by FL84K5, Oct 23, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a dual sport motorcycle to use for commuting to school, work, and to mess around with on local trails. I don't like in a large city, so traffic isn't bad out here. This would be my first bike. The two I'm looking at are they Suzuki DR Z400S and the Kawasaki KLX400SR. How are these bikes on the road? Most of the roads I will be on are two lane highways. How are they off pavement? Thanks

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Either of those bikes is fine. If you get one, you have to let me ride it. I've always wanted to try a duallie. I was looking at a few of them a while ago, before I bought my big Yamaha, there are websites out there that cover them.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Being a Harley rider you can probley guess my opinion of rice burners, but being it's your first bike, I'll say go for the Kaw.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

well the dual feature comes at a cost...it rides fine on the highway, but its not a sport bike or cruise bike, and they're pretty heavy when you get off road compared to the normal dirt bikes...basically its not a great street bike, and its not a great off road bike...
    but if buying two bikes isnt an option, and you want to be able to ride on and off road, go for it...
    i dont mean to sound like i'm badmouthing the duals, a friend of mine has a KLX that he swears by, said its just a great all purpose ride, not a crotch rocket, not a 2 stroke dirtbike, but a very reliable and fun bike that does a little of everything...

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

also, these are single cylinder bikes. They won't win any races and some get kinda wheezy at freeway speeds. So, if that's part of your commute, then you may want to look elsewhere. The Semi knobby tires they come with can lead to some iffy handling on pavement. I would still love to get one as a second bike.