Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommend me a rear sway bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by YtseJam, Nov 23, 2002.

1. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 K5 that I have added rear 2" spacers to help the rear stability. I have also replced all of the shocks. I was thinking of adding a rear sway bar too. So my question is to those of you that have installed them. Did you notice a big difference? and where did you get yours and how much $ Thanks!

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i got mine from jcwhitney. i believe it was a hellwig. i have yet to install it but it has to help.it is just one item in a long list i have to bolt on to my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a front one that I'm adapting to the back... but don't have mine on yet either, still making the disconnects for it.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

whats wrong man? dotn like pulling up the left front?
    Grant

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats part of it, but I want to try the 57" Ford rears up front. I wanted flexibility in tightening it up if it turns out to be too loose on the streets.

6. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

I had a 1" bar on the rear for a while. Good chance a front bar will be too stiff for the rear. Too large will cause understeer. One other thing to think about....the front bar is shorter over all and the "arms" (can't remember the correct term) are also shorter making it much stiffer than a stock rear bar of the same dia.

Just a suggestion.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Very good points. I'm not too concerned with the stiffness aspect as I can build spring loaded play in the rods that connect the swaybar to the axle and simulate a softer bar. Getting an unobstructed swaybar to cycle up front with cross over steering will be the trick, so I may only be able to run the rear one at first.. so stiff might be better in the short term. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, i was thinking about putting my 52's up front. maybe ill do it this week.
    are you going to use the 3 inch wide 57's? or the 2.5 inch wide 57's?
    Grant

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The 3" wide ones might be a better match, but the 2.5's will probably flex better.. or too much! I'm still up in the air.