Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommendations for 2 dr. Tahoe purchase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by flash21, Jan 5, 2004.

1. flash21

flash21 Newbie

Greetings everybody, this is my first post here. I am currently searching for a 97-99 2 door Tahoe to be my daily driver and also do some mild to moderate rock crawling (no serious mudding). Are there any factory options or packages I should look for? Is the Z-71 package worth pursuing, or is it mostly cosmetics? Did the positraction come standard with any package? What about gear ratios?

I apologize if these questions are redundant to others on the board (doncha love newbies?), and will happily go look at any resources you may recommend that might answer my questions...

FWIW my previous vehicle was an Isuzu Trooper that was totaled on Christmas Eve when a guy ran a red light and T-boned me. I have run numerous trails at Moab over the past few years, and want to keep doing so when I find another vehicle...

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The z71 package comes factory with a gov lok, skid plates, and a few other little things I think. You wan't the lowest gears you can find, which are probably going to be 3.73's which aren't going to be low enough for anything taller than a 32" or 33" tire.

One quick question... Why would you wan't to rock crawl (aka, destroy) a nice tahoe like that. The IFS suspension is no where near capable of handling rocks and you will just break parts trying to crawl especially with a bigger tire than stock. You will sooner than later put dent after dent in that nice truck if you take it on the rocks or trails. Get a different truck if you wan't to rock crawl.

You will notice that anyone half way serious about rock crawling on this site has there rig set up for it and don't care about body damage and if they can still drive it tommorow to work.

3. flash21

flash21 Newbie

Valid questions, but I suspect your definition of "rockcrawling" is more hardcore than mine...I just wanna be able to run the moderate trails at Moab, such as Steelbender or at worst Poison Spider. I won't be tackling Golden Spike or Pritchett Canyon!

I ran a bunch of trails at Moab with my IFS Trooper without carnage...OK maybe one ding on Elephant Hill /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

I'm just thinking of 285s and maybe 2" or 3" lift. A LSD diff would be nice, and I'd probably put on some rocker panel armor. The 3.73 gears would be nice for the 285s. I was just hoping there was an options package with the posi and the gears that I could look for.

What's a "gov lok"?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A gov loc is GM's pathetic excuse for a ls unit/locker combined into one. Either do a search on the subject, or click on the threaad about carnage and scroll down if you want to see what one looks like when it fails. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    A gov loc is GM's pathetic excuse for a ls unit/locker combined into one. Either do a search on the subject, or click on the threaad about carnage and scroll down if you want to see what one looks like when it fails. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, A gov-lok, 10B, and rocks = broken parts and an useless locker anyway.
    The gov loks aren't bad for mud when traction between the 2 sides doesn't vary much but as soon as one side is in the air a little or just barely touching the surface then the gov lok is useless, like with rocks.
    Another thing is that rocks are hard on parts and a gov locked 10 bolt is a time bomb!
    Seriously I wouldn't take a nice truck like that to moab because you will eventually put a dent or 2 in it and yes... you aren't going to be doing harcore stuff but rocks are still rocks. I would keep the tahoe nice and DD it. I would buy an older chevy and run that offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

where are you? I know where one is here...nice too.