Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recommendations for a TH350 floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ed rex, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

Good day! Is there a current favorite floor shifter conversion for a TH350 into a 1st gen? Looks like B&M and Hurst both make 'truck' model floor shifters, anyone have experience with this? Concerned about the height when using a center console, don't really want to have to reach over the console and grab at something that is below the level of the console top.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I see alot of people really like the shifter by Art Carr.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Art Carr type shifter, available from several places.

They're simple, reliable, durable, easy to use and understand and very positive. I can't recommend anything else.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

B&M shifters are designed for street use and drag racing, not 4 wheeling. For instance, many come with "reverse lock out" which we not only do not need, it works against us in many cases where we need a quick, positive shift from drive to reverse. Even if you disable the reverse lock out, or use a model with no reverse lock out, you still have no way to make a positive shift (i.e. KNOW you are hitting R in a panic shift, not N or P). This single problem has made me absolutely despise my B&M which has come very close to causing serious rolls for me. Don't even get me started on that abomination called a ratchet shifter. IMO, a total poser piece if your not drag racing, why else would you put such a thing in a truck? The Art Car has positive shift location on every shift. As such, I would also suggest Art Car for this and other already stated reasons.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always liked the B&W "Star shifter".

6. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

Well thank you all sincerely! Art Carr seems to be the unit. Any suggestions on where to get one? I assume that they have varying shaft heights to choose from so you're not grabbing at the floorboards?

Thanks again.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will be getting an art carr shifter when I build my cage... so I can mount it high enough for an easy grab...

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Art Carr type shifter, available from several places.

They're simple, reliable, durable, easy to use and understand and very positive. I can't recommend anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

you say "type" who else makes a 4 speed gate?
    someone cheaper hopefully /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't remember what it's called, "Jaguar" or some other big cat name IIRC. Looks just like the AC, may even be a relabel. ORD sells AC, and they (Art Carr) sometimes direct sale at a huge discount (which I learned that they screw their distributors out of /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). Seems like I gave $199 for mine direct on one of those sales.

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Have seen both B&M and art carr shifter in use on the trail. I would recommend the art carr. Everybody I know that has a B&M does not like it. I talk to a art carr rep last month and he said through september they were on sale for 199.99 from art car themselves, vs the regular price of 275 or something.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think Art Carr is re-badging the shifters, I've seen the same type with "winters" on it, maybe somebody knows more?
    I know the 2nd company Art Carr (the guy) started is now california performance transmission and carries the same shifter, so it's not an exclusive thing.
    I think they're a marine shifter to start with.
    hard not to buy them on sale for 2 bills. I might get another one myself at that price. It's probably cheaper than our dealer price.