Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommendations on 6" springs. Almost purchase time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Recommendations on 6\" springs. Almost purchase time

Ok, I've gone back and read all the posts I could find on Tuff Country and BDS springs. Here is the specs on my rig I'm building. 14bff in the rear. D60 going in up front. 4x4Iron rear bumper in the future w/ tire carrier and lots of gear to be bolted on. Front bumper from SEC, 4x4Iron or someone else w/ Warn winch. Interior will be stripped and Line-X'ed and has a full roll cage but hauling a lot of gear. Most of my trips tend to be hunting, or exploring. The rig probably won't see the Rubicon but may play at Hollister and Carnegie on occasion when empty. My wheeling tends to be desert exploration w/ creek running and canyon crawling on rarely used trails. The back will be full of camping gear, ammo, and other stuff.

My question then is, what 6" springs should I go for? Will the Tuff Country EZ rides be too soft for all my gear? How about the BDS? I also have the ORD shackle reversal in the rear and HD ORD spring hangers up front. So 6" up front w/ 2" springs in the rear was the plan. I suspect several are running this combo. Should I do the TC heavy duty springs or will they be too stiff?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: Recommendations on 6\" springs. Almost purchase time

All I can tell you is NOT to buy Genuine Suspension, ProComp, or Ranchos.
    -- Mike

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Everybody I trust tells me to stay with Skyjacker or Superlift as a backup...

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My friend has teh 6" Skyjacker Softrides on his 72 K5... there is nothing soft about them.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Allright, to actually answer your question.....
    Both choices you listed are good ones. Personally, I'm looking into some BDS front springs for my truck because I haven't heard a bad thing about them. I'd say go with the Tuff Country H.D. if you go with T.C. With that extra weight from the front bumper stuff, you'll want those springs so you get the full lift you're looking for. Going with the T.C. Heavy Duty's will probably get you in the same spring rate range as the BDS springs. Just a guess though. I know BDS 4" front springs have a spring rate of 425, and the T.C. HD's are 395 in the 4" variety - so I'm assuming you'll see a similar comparison in the 6" springs. Overall, if I were you, I'd go BDS for one main reason: since both springs are great quality/very comparable, why not buy the springs with the unmatched warranty that BDS has? Go with BDS.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go for the BDS !!!!!

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am also getting ready to purchase springs, Every bit of research I have done sends me right to BDS. I am going to use there 6" rear springs up front.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

What are you doing in the rear? I have the ORD shackle reversal and would prefer to stay away from blocks.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

for now, I have 2" Rancho springs,shackle reversal and 4" blocks. I plan on going with BDS 6", 56" springs in the rear and dump the blocks. But going to do front over first.