Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommendations Wanted for Garage Jack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigRed89, Feb 24, 2003.

1. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I would like recommendations on what type of garage jack and jack stands to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I want a garage jack that will be able to lift my Sub up nice and high from the frame, not just the axle housings. I found this one at Harbor Freight and it has a max. lift of 31 - 5/8". Thanks for any and all recommendations! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

this may be a bit of over-kill, but a thousand years ago back in H/S auto-shop, we had a gray air end-lift. I got lucky and found a used one this past spring and it works GREAT on a full-framed, seriously bumpered rig like a K5, Suburban (or even my IH Scout!) this isn't the link to my exact model, but it's close enough to get the concept. Gray Air Lift (the 550 model.. not those below)
    Check out local shop auctions when they go out of business, want ads, etc. Took a while to find mine, but /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif glad to finally have it!

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

That's a good jack, heard great things about them. As for the jack stands, I have the 12 ton harbor freight. Those area must for anyone working on a lifted truck. They get my 42's off the ground when I need them to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is a good budget choice. Unless you need it now wait untill it goes on sale for $100. I'm getting one next time they do.

5. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i have that 2 1/2 ton harbor frieght jack u posted, and it works great. i also have four 12 ton jack stands and those things are brute. a great investment

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the recommendations and replies! I guess I'll go ahead and get that one from Harbor Freight. I also found a used bumper jack like woody9 suggested, in the local classified ads for $100. I think I'll call on that too.