Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommended Auto Tranny Fluid for an '89 700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomy, May 20, 2005.

1. tomy

tomy Registered Member

I'm planning to change the Auto Transmission fluid in my '89 and was hoping to get some recommendatiosn on which brand of fluid to use. I have already purchased a new filter from NAPA.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use Kendall Dexron 2 but any good name brand dexron will do. You don't need to get the latest dexron (4 i think) but as far as i know you can use it if you want.

3. 77jimy

77jimy Newbie

Use AN Atf Dexron III(3) Mercon, Like Mentioned Before As Long As You Use A Name Brand You Should Be Fine, I'm Partial To The Chevron And Texaco Brands, But Thats Mostly Cuz Thats What I Sell. I Would Also Recommend Not Using Citgo, Experience Has Shown Me Better Options

(and No Resolute Is Not Name Brand) Haha

4. tomy

tomy Registered Member

One more question on this, what is the fluid capacity of the 700r4 transmission. In other words how much fluid will I need?

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This ought to be good for a debate. If your 700R4 has a lot of mileage on it, don't change the fluid unless you know that it has been changed on a regular basis throughout its life. Just change the filter and top it off. I have heard more than once that, changing the fluid on a 700R4 that hasn't been kept up with, will lead to premature failure.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've heard that as well, but really question the logic of it. This was somewhat true in the older days, but I dont think it applies to the 700R4.

Also, in terms of filter changes, you will have to drain and drop the pan regardless- thats good for about 6 quarts or so of fluid. I'd install a drain plug in the pan to help you out for the next drain. (you'll see how much of a POS GM was to not put in a drain plug).

IIRC, overall fluid capacity is over 8 quarts.. I think its in the double digits. You probably wont use over 2 gallons though. The rest of the fluid is in the lines and torque converter, and in my opinion, not worth the effort to get out. You can actually get away with Partial changes like this, which works pretty well. Every year, drain fluid, drop pan, change filter.

i've added in an additional inline filter from permacool. The stock filter is around 25-40 dollars, depending on where you go. The permacool filter is any regular ford FL1A filter.

Stock filter is acutally pretty useless- only captures big chunks. Its filtration capacity is maybe 50-100 microns. the permacool setup reduces particles in the 10 micron range. However, if you truly want the best setup, you'll have to go bypass which will remove particles smaller than 2 micron.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

putting a pint or quart of Lucas might help ya get a little more life out of it as well.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I think the capacity with filter change is 5 - 6 quarts. At least that is what the computer at Autozone told me. Total capacity is around 8 quarts.
    I agree with putting in a drain plug so you can drain the fluid before you drop the pan. B&M makes one for around $6.

9. freakdave

freakdave Registered Member

or you can just go to the local transmission shop and they'll do it for about $40. cheap, easy, no clean-up.

10. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

If you fluid has not been change in a long time don't do any thing. Even changing the filter will cause problems. I did this on my 93 s-10 with a 4l60-e. I changed the fluid and the tranny started to slip right away. It cost me 1500 because all i wanted to do was change the tranny fluid. If you are worried about the filter you could install a remote filter so you would not have to drop the pan to change the filter

11. tomy

tomy Registered Member

Has this happened to anyone else? What would cause this? I always thought it was a good practice to change transmission fluid and filters. :confused:

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I recommend not listening to people who say to not change the fluid and filter if they havent been changed in a while. Just think about the logic. Of course its a possibility that changing it on a tranny thats hasnt been well maintained may free up some gunk from the lines and on a rare occasion cause the tranny to go bad. But what happens if you just dont change the fluid and filter at all? Thats very bad for the tranny. Everything needs regular maintainance. If it hasnt been regularly maintained, the sooner you start, the better. I personally just changed the tranny fluid and filter on my 700r4 k5. It has never been changed since I have owned the truck (about 3 years), and doesnt look like it had been changed very often before that either. People told me that it would cause the tranny to slip if i did it. Well, i did, and it now shifts better than ever. Gonna change it every 6 months now. Just my
    $.02.
    -Harrison

13. 77jimy

77jimy Newbie

there is always that remote possibility that you will free something up in the tranny when doing a change, most likely if you do have a problem after changing the fluid and filter its because the oil is now clean, it does't have the dirt and oxidation the old oil had to fill in the voids, which brings two ways of thinking, (1) leave everything the way it is and wait for the inevitable, which is ruining the whole tranny. or (2) change the fluid and filter and run the risk of the tranny slipping and having to change the clutch packs now. If it were me i would change everything, but thats if it were me!

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I'd rather have something break in my driveway than to have something break on the road. If the tranny dies after I do a fluid change, it was going to die real soon- how many more miles do you think that tranny could acutally go? I'd rather be able to shop around, save up a few bucks for a new tranny, rather than being stuck hundreds of miles away from home with a busted tranny.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If changing the fluid and filter makes a trans start slipping...........than it was on it's last leg anyway!!!! My guess is that it's mostly coincidence this happens. Think about it for a second, it's people who have either never changed the fluid or it has been a LONG time = equals perfect reason why trans failed to begin with. Also, I see a lot of people wait until their 150,000 mile auto trans starts acting up and then try changing the fluid to fix it.

16. tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive Registered Member

tranny fluid is not one of those , if it aint broken dont fix it things.
    You wanna change the fluid out at least every 30k miles or 2 years.
    This has been my .02 since day one.
    Never had a problem since.
    I just changed thfluid out of my 90 Jimmy with a 700r4 .
    Dont know how long the fluid had been in there but it was rust colored and was starting to varnish in the pan.
    Shifted , neck whipping style from 1-2 and stuttered in OD when acceling from 55 up on hwy.
    After fluid chnage , MUCH better and I also adjusted the TV cable , to my likeing.
    Adjust , drive , readjust , drive , etc.

17. tomy

tomy Registered Member

Thanks for the informed replies. I appreciate the help.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i change my tranny fluid and filter every 3 oil changes,
    id dosent cost much more than a oil change, and the way i look at it, if i got the fluid hot, it is starting to break down already, might as well change it, i am pretty shure it is'nt hurting anything, and it dosent cost a whole lott.