Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recommended lift for '72 blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '72brett, Dec 10, 2002.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

recommended lift for \'72 blazer

I was thinking about goin with 33's now and maybe 35's when they wear out. I have no idea on what kind of lift to do, body lift or frame? what is easier? What are the down sides? What is the maximum amount of lift I can put on with out messing with all the steering stuff and that sort of thing? I am on a budget here and I want to do it cheaply, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Re: recommended lift for \'72 blazer

you can run 33's w/o trimming or lift and 35's with trimming. with a 4 inch lift you can probably run 35's with little or no trimming and 33's easy. it depends on your truck they are all different. what do you want to do with your truck? Body lifts are cheaper but i dont like them personally. i think they make it ride worse and then you have to space bumpers and such. Anything over a 4" lift will start requiring driveline changes. (driveshafts, brakelines ect...) sometimes a 4" lift will. it depends on your truck again. a 4" lift w/ bvlocks go from $255.00 (black diamond) to like $365.00 superlift.

this is just my .o2

69K5
    nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have been told that 33's willl work fine on stock suspension, but right now I have 32's and they are almost too big. This suspension has a whole lot of sag to it. I was told to go with 2" lift for 35's cause more than 2 would require steering arm modifications. Will a 3" be OK? I think that maybe 4" would be a little much. Now, with all the sag, should I just buy new stock springs and put blocks under em? or do you recommend to lift it with springs? I dont want a stiff ride, but I don't need it real soft either. I was hoping that I could lift it with blocks maybe or the springs. So all I would have to put new on it would be shocks, correct? With only, say a 3" lift? I dont want to do that body lift like you said. I have seen body lifts and I think they look kind of silly. Now with all the info I have written, can anyone tell me the cheapest way to achieve this lift and where I can get the parts... I have never done any suspension work before so I am also in the dark on how to install the lift. Is it self explanitory, or do I need to ask a professional? any tricks you guys know would be great help also, thanks again.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i have 33's w/ stock. my rear end had the 30 year sags. i went to auto zone and put some 2' blocks for 16.00 that came with u bolts and all. if you dont want a stiff ride keep the stock psrings and use blocks or a shacleflip . shocks would be all that is necessary. when i added my 2" blocks i left the stock shocks. if i stretched em out really good they would blow but its been 8 months with no probs. lifts are really easy on our trucks b/c they are just springs. you might want to sprimg for a steering arm. as for tips get a grinder and cut the u bolts the lift has new ones anyway. buy some front sprimgs from someone on here and get the shackleflip for the rear. borregok5 can make you one for a 3" custom. probably at little or no charge. ithink he has em for 2 and 4 ". shocks at autozone or oreilly's are cheaper. they arent as good but they will work for now.

hope it helps

nathan

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Brett,

Welcome to the 1st Gen area.....the BEST part of CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The stuff you're looking for is all here. I can see you are pretty new to the board, so I'll try to help you out by suggesting the "search" button at the bottom of each page as a good place to start.

"Lifts to fit 35's" is a pretty common question, and there is already LOTS written about the subject so I won't belabor it again.

You are already asking yourself the right questions in terms of how DEEP you want to get into the changes...bigger lifts cause more problems that you'll need to address.

Also, it helps that you have TWO vehicles....if you tackle this suspension swap and things go wrong, you still have a way to get around while you sort out the "small stuff" that always seems to happen during a "simple" change!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So.....welcome to the group, and let us know more as you decide on the changes you want to make.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have 4" lift and 35's, when you push it the rear tires will hit the front of the fenders, going to trim a little one day. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I have another question... This Christmas I am going to do a lot of work with that Blazer. It has facotry origal 350 right now, but I am going to take that out and replace it with a rebuilt 350 bored 30 over. I want to get rid of the points and put an HEI in it. As of now, the points distrib. is awefully close close to the firewall right now. I know alot of these guys talk about definitely having and HEI, but my personal opinion is that it wont fit... am I wrong, or is it just a cram it in there type thing?

8. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

I have a 72 that took the HEI easy, it's just a little bit more of a pain getting the oil pump lined up because you can look in the hole like some other applications.

9. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board fellow blazer-holic /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif as for the lift question I am running 4" with rear blocks and a case of teh sags and 33-14.50-16 swamper SSR's and the rear hits the front of the fenderwell and the front hits when turned and suspension is compressed even a little. but as has been said every rig is differnet. and teh HEI thing. it should work. I have a bigblock and HEI and it fits, so a smallblock should withough problem! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

alright, thanks guys! I am not to thrilled with my tires hitting my fender wells. I think what I am going to do will be to put a 3" lift on with 33" tires. Also I want to install a roll bar over Christmas. Any suggestions for that? I talked to my dad, he said to buy a chrome one built for a truck and chop it a little bit so it can still fit under the hard top. Sounds good to me, but what do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know where you will find a 3" lift...most are 2.5 or 4.

I have a truck rollbar in my blazer. It is one of those stupid 4" tubing ones. I don't think it has been cut down and it fits under the hard top. I would have to sugest against it though...they (all the ones I have seen) bolt to the top of the wheel well (a very weak area) and might not do you too much good.

12. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

thx, but I still want a roll bar and I also know that JC whitney sells a 3" lift /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif