Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommended plug gap for Vortec heads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 29, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I bought some AC Delco Rapid Fire spark plugs (for 96-up GM trucks w/ Vortec heads) and the factory gap is huge, like .06 inches and on the box it says to gap to vehicle specs. On mine it says .035in but that's for the original 88' tbi centerbolt heads which I obviously no longer have. So should I just leave the gap alone or close it down to a certain spec. Thanks.

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would say gap it to .035 and try it there. That is what I use on my vortec heads....Jason

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

it kinda depends on your ignition system.the better and higher voltage system you have, the more you can open the gap.

4. BayouBlazer88

well I'll be adding an MSD 6A ignition box as well as a MSD coil in the near future. and I currently have MSD super conductor wires. I don't understand why they gap them so big, it's easier to enlarge the gap than to make it smaller.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I ran .045" on my plugs... and I get GREAT power and good mileage too! Thats all on a stock ignition too...

YOU'RE KILLING ME BTW! I WANT TO KNOW HOW THE THING RUNS! STOP TORTURING ME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

6. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    YOU'RE KILLING ME BTW! I WANT TO KNOW HOW THE THING RUNS! STOP TORTURING ME!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

-HAHA, I know, it's killing me too. I just wanted to make sure I had the right gap before putting them in. In fact, as soon as I finish typing this reply, I'm going change them out.

7. BayouBlazer88

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifYou da man, Dan! Threw in the new plugs and pulled out the hypertec chip and started her up and she idled beautifuly. When you rev it up and then let off the gas, she drops right back down to a smooth idle, no dying. I was in a hurry to get to rugby practice so I didn't get a chance to test drive it yet but I'm sure she'll run fine. I never would have thought of this and without your ideas, I'd still be stuck with a broken blazer and probably would have spent a lot more money. So thanks a million. If you're ever in the Lafayette, LA area and need a hand, make sure you let me know.

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

YOU HEAR THAT? I'M THE MAN!

Thanks for the offer too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We'll see... I might get out that way (kinda) next year for the spring run! We'll see what happens!

Glad to hear things are working for you now! BTW, which plugs did you go with? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just in case there was any confusion, this is the AC Delco platinum plug that I was referring to:

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_plugs_prof_main.htm

I'm da man, I'm da man, I'm da man... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-Dan

9. BayouBlazer88

I finally got to drive her today. The only problem I have is that when she's still cold and you try to give it gas, it kind of sputters for a second, like it's not getting any gas, but then it takes off. And it only does for the first 5 minutes of driving. Runs fine at normal operating temp.

As far as the plugs go, the ones I used are AC Delco Rapid Fire. Autozone sells them for $3.99 a peice and the Autozone part # is 12. I'm not sure if these are platinum plugs or if we ware talking about the same plugs. Maybe the prices are different here.