Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recommended shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Jul 31, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok.....I kinow alot of you are diehard Rancho RS 9000 fans. But with my income Its hard to justify to the spousel unit 80 bucks a pop for shocks....Arethere any other brands such as Bilstien. Gabreial, Etc. that are in the 50 dollar price range that you would reccomend.....Thanks

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Bilsteins tend to exceed the $50 mark by quite a bit. For my money, you can't go wrong with the Doetsch Tech "PreRunner" series for an awesome all around shock. They typically run around $40 or less, and have the same ride and handling characteristics as much more expensive brands.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. 90idahoblazer

Who carries Doetch Tech????

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The Bilstines are around $70 each for a lifted truck which is a little better but not much. Alot of shocks out there are made by Rancho and sell for less for the same thing (trailmaster, procomp, etc.). Maby some other guys have had good luck with some of those and will post it here.
    Whatever you do stay away from RS5000's.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

6. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Why stay away from 500s? I had them on my last truck and they seemed fine. Smooth ride, controlled wheel movement quite well, never seemed harsh at all, especially with larger movements.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

5000's are valved more toward slow speed stuff, and heavier rigs. I've got them right now and they really bite, especially on washboard roads. They also tend to wear out really fast.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The edelbrock shocks are a copy of Bilstines (along with every other monotube shock because they were first).
    The velocity sensetive valving is what makes them nice. A normal shock (RS5000 for example) gets stiffer the faster the shock piston speed (like when you hit a big bump going fast). The ones with the velocity sensetive valving get softer when the shock piston speed increases. That is what makes them better on fast stuff and still stiff enough for the slow stuff.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

10. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    I'm gonna go w/ the Procomp equivelant of the rancho 5012s, don't have the pn# off hand but its somewhere in the house and i think emmetology has it (i think) $35 a shock aint bad, besides i need a shock that can extend, i dont go fast either. from what I hear rancho is gonna make a shock that is longer than the 9012s but this is just word of mouth albeit trustworthy. But besides the High end shocks almost all the parts stores carry shock up to a 4" lift (Auto Zone, and Pep Girls i know for sure)

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ive got Eliminator shocks from 4WPW in the front and Rancho 5112s in the rear.I paid $99 for the 4 Eliminators and the 5112s were free.I had the 4 eliminators up front but now I run single shocks .Im happy with them and they were cheap.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I talked to OffRoad Warehouse a couple months ago about the Bilsteins. For a stock rig, they were cheaper than the 9000s, except for the second shock up front, they were 80 a pop. When I redo the shock mounts, I'm going Bilstein 7100s. Who cares if they are like 170 a pop?

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

13. 90idahoblazer

Thanks Guys, What about the Deotch Techs....any word on those?

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Never ran them. Haven't heard anything bad about them. When it comes to shocks, vehicle use is/should be main priority. Don't go down to Sears for the Monroe Special of the Week. I'm running 9000s on the rear right now and there are awesome. Twin-tube shocks are good for your daily driver, go into the mountains type slow going stuff. If I'm fireroading, running out in the desert, monotube shocks are the way to go. They don't fade like Ranchos and all the others. Heat buildup is what causes fade and twin tube shocks build heat faster. Probably a little deeper than you wanted, just showing the world how smart I am. [​IMG] Get the 9000s and you can't go wrong. I don't know anything about Edelbrocks.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I used to run them on an F150 and loved them - they were valved perfectly for my desert runner/daily driver purposes. Not too stiff, not too soft. And the nifty little built in bump stop was nice too!

Generic Signature
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com&gt;pugsley.alloffroad.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Pugsley on 07/31/01 07:42 PM.</FONT></P>

16. 90idahoblazer

Thanks Pugs...I will look into the Techs...sound like a good product for the money