Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recommended upgrades....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Sep 3, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have made my decision to swap my 6.2 for a 400sbc. mainly for power reasons. mine is not a daily driver so the mileage isnt a big deal and i have a good running 400. i made the decision yesterday when towing a small military trailer, power sucks!!! my plan is swapping the 400 in this winter. i'm curious what improvements can/should be made to the 400 when doing the swap. i'm planning on a holley truck avenger for fuel, but what are some other upgrades ? are headers worth it? what about ignition upgrades? anything else?... and i dont have to smog it!!

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would keep the diesel and regear but that is just me.

Ira

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Headers are a good upgrade. A performance intake is also a good upgrade. Headers and an edelbrock performer intake gave me a very noticeable power gain. MSD ignition box, coil, and distributor is good too.
    -Harrison

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What gears and tire size are you running?

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Looking at his sig line he has a cucv with a 14 bolt and a D60. Those would be 4.56's. Pretty low already.

It also says H2 wheels and tires. Im not sure on the H2 tire size...maybe around 36-37"
    -Harrison

6. jp0863

4.10 gears and 35's. i would keep the diesel and regear, but for the cost it makes sense to go with the gas motor since i already have the motor. dont get me wrong, the diesel is great, but my inj pump is about 80% and injectors are about the same. even replacing them ,would cost about as much as the engine swap and would still be underpowered.

7. jp0863

the d60/14 bolt came out of a civilian model so didnt get the cool 4.56'sfrom uncle sam, still even at 4.10's it seems to rev pretty high as is

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id imagine you have a decent radiator already, but make sure your cooling system is tip top.

my 400 runs warm. it has yet to overheat or budge from just shy of 200, but my cooling system has more or less all new components including a 4 core radiator (except on the highway at like 3500 rpm, but thats not smart lol).

9. jp0863

mattk, any performance upgrades? i want to keep it fairly simple, not sure if headers are worth the money, but main focus will be on a little extra power, and keeping it cool. i'm just not sure on what power add ons are worth it and which are a waste of time and money.

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Mattk has no upgrades that i know of. Runs a quadrajet. Factory headers off an older engine. He may chime in if he did any mods, but i dont beleive he did.

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

factory headers? what you smokin goober?

im runnin some $100 autozone headers:haha:

other than that, my motor was rebuilt somewhere along the line...to what specs i have no idea. if i were to recommend upgrades it would be fuel injection. you can prob make better power, reliability, and off-camber capability. may even see an increase in mpg.

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My headers look just like yours(mud and all) and came right off your engine(wow, never realized how many parts we split).

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 4.10's are Ok with my 35's/350/TH400 but Iam going to 4.56 (its what is in the axles already) soon. You can probably find a cheap set here or on PBB.

14. jp0863

i'd like to stay away from a gear swap for now, i may consider one later, mainly because on some occasions i do drive to work and it's all highway except for about 2 blocks, and on the rare occasion i go to pismo and dont trailer it. i tend to drive a little fast and dont want to kill the tach on longer trips.