Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recommened Fliuds?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ol_grayfeather, Mar 3, 2001.

1. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

I just got a '75 3/4 ton full time 4x4. In the Haynes manual I have it says under Transfer cases for "full time front wheel drive" 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil. I know the 208 I have in my blazer is supposed to have ATF in it but I've never heard of putting engine oil in a transfer case. And just to make you mad I only payed $600 for the truck, but the passenger side of the motor was torn apart and it didnt have a distributor. Got it running today and aside from needing new shocks the thing drives great. Thanks

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

It was normal to have motor oil in your transfer case from what I understand.

[​IMG]

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Depends on which xfer case you have. The fulltime (or part-time conversion) NP203 gets 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil. The part-time NP205 gets 80-90w gear oil. The part-time NP208 or NP241 get ATF. There should be a small metal tag with the model # of the xfer case on the housing. On my 208, the tag is round, about 1 1/2" dia. and has the numbers stamped into it. It's on the rear of the housing.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!