Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RECORD TIMING 45 mins.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuneRunner, Mar 18, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

NEW record time of 45 minutes to change the raised steering arm... GokarterGo and I did it this weekend with very little difficulty. My truck has had a very fortunate life of no rust and no major damage. That helped with the quick change. Or it was the "Break Free" penetrating oil that is sold at Gun Shops that did the trick. So Bring on the faster time if you C A N..... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks Dan for the help.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I remember a long time ago,someone posted they did it in about 7 mins.

3. wasn't it Wes?

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

45 minutes was complete time from taking off the tire to putting back on the tire.. The only thing left was to staighten the steering wheel........Dan

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, I did one, but can't remember exactly the time I did it in.../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I made a thread about this, too...something like 3 minutes to remove the three nuts, pound the arm off, install the new arm, and torque the nuts to spec. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hate to be a bubble buster but it took me about 20 min, with the help of liquid wrench and a hilift handle that pretented to be a breaker bar. longest part was figuring out the little cone washer thingys.

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>About 5 minutes when I swapped in my 8 lug 44. Of course, the arm was new a year and a half earlier so that helped

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Dunnerunner, We should have of timed ourselves on just the steering arm.. I know we were under 5 on that.. We got the nuts off real fast. And you hit maybe 8 times and I hit it like 4 times and they popped off...Dan

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uhhh how 'bout 3min, 43 sec. ?
    /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. DuneRunner

If you all ask me Now that I think about it IT TOOK US 2minute 5 seconds. To get all of the STUFF OFF. LOL

In all seriousness If yall are going there it took us around 1 minute to take off the 3 nuts and cone washers then 1 minute of WACKING the S#$% out of it. So then put the new arm on and air ratchet the new nuts on. SO the entire JOB took about 45 minutes. With a Soda break and trying to keep the truck from falling off the stands. and such.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When I swapped axles the front had a raised arm on it.
    I guess that it took me about 15 minutes to remove both steering arms and have the old one on the new axle.
    All I used was a 4 LB hammer and a pair of cone pliers.

12. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Ken...
    glad the steering arm worked well for you. I know you'll put it to a lot better use then it was just sitting in my garage!! That's a pretty impressive time also...I remember it took me forever (at least that what it seemed like) to get mine off initially. It's amazing how two pieces of metal really fuse together after about 24 years....I had to use a friggin 8# (or maybe it was 10#) hammer to get mine off!!! But in the end....Barbastard 1...steering arm 0

13. DuneRunner

Barbastard 1...steering arm 0
    HHAAAAAHHHHAAA That was a good one. Thanks for the sale. Speaking of sales. Are you guys going to be selling at Good Guys car show this weekend? Let me know if you are. I have a grill to toss into the 4sale pile.

thanks again

14. monypit

monypit Registered Member

i didn't put the new one on yet but after reading the advice here mine took about 2 min to get off. stock 73 took me one solid hit to loosen all three cones. I was shocked...(but pleased)

15. DuneRunner

Good to hear.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif Now you know what to do if someone else needs a hand...thats what I LOVE about CK5.