Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recovery Hooks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How strong are the standard generic tow hooks? I am trying to figure out what I want to do for hooks/shackles on my new front winch bumper.

I am running a Warn 12000lb winch and I need something that will be strong enough to handle a double line back to the truck if I need to do so. I am thinking that the generic hooks will just turn into missles if I use a winch that big on a double line or a hard snatch.

What are the opinions and options.

I am also thinking about weld on shackle tabs but I wonder how strong they can really be with only a few inches of weld surface. The welder I have access to is a Miller 135 with .030 flux. I can weld pretty well so I am thinking this is the best route but still wonder if the welds will be strong enough.

Harley

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I hate using hooks, they scare me since the line could slip off.
    I like using big heavy shackles, if you are worried about your welds just cut a hole through the bumper and run some square tubing to the frame and bolt it to the frame and weld it to the bumper, then just drill a hole in the tubing and use the shackle.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, you aren't supposed to weld recovery hooks. Yes, welds can be strong enough, but its hard to tell if they are strong enough until you rip one off. If the hook is bolted on, you know how much force teh bolts will take before they break.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

thats why I say do both for worry free strength /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    I made mine around 18" long both front and rear and they are bolted to the frame with 3 bolts and welded to the backside of the bumper.

6. Hossbaby50

I am not going to weld the hooks on. I would use 2 grade 8 bolts but I am affraid the hook itself might break.

If I weld on a shackle tab it will be like this.

[​IMG]

I am looking for opinions and options for what will work and what is safe.

Harley

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Whats your new bumper look like?

8. Hossbaby50

Not sure, it isn't done yet. right now it is just the winch box. It is 28"x14" deck, 4"x13" side plates, and 2"x28" front plate below the deck.

Harley

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why not cut a square hole in the bumper and extend the mounts clear back to the frame and bolt them to the frame and weld them to the bumper.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Have you looked at the new Superduty hooks? Or rather loops to be more accurate. Forged U-shaped things that are sort of like a rigid d-ring and bolt to the frame. Or CUCV type shackle mounts that are not even part of the bumper. I kept my old ones with just such a thought...

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Harley, how soon are you putting the tabs on? Is the bumper mounted at all yet? If so we bounce ideas around this weekend. I ahve a couple that will work with the big azz cradle your 120000 needs. As for the welding of those tabs, mine are welded with a 110V flux. I did preheat it, and cut open the back of the mounting plate so I could double the weld surface. I have been tied to fred with them, dragged through woddy's wash & terminator twice. So far no problems and I have inspected them heavily.

12. Hossbaby50

The cradle is already mostly completed. I haven't done anything on the tabs yet. I will need to order them if I go that route. I can wait till Sunday. I should have the bumper mostly completed and mounted by Sunday hopefully.

Harley

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well as to how strong the stock tow hooks are very strong, i buried a tow moter in a foot and a half of soggy gravle and yanked it out with the stock hooks on my sub, very hard pull, slightly bent the one but barely.

heres my front bumper with 4"x5/8" flat for shackel mounts /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i like the stock bolt on hooks. they've got a pretty good bend to them, i've never had anything slip off. i doubt you could even bend them while winching. shock loading is whats hard on stuff like that.

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Either use a pass-through D-ring (A D-ring that bolts to the frame) or 88-98 IFS hooks.

I'd make a D-ring that is long and bolts to the frame and then weld the bumper to that D-ring.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I think I have some of those IFS hooks for you. Freebie.