Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recovery shackle mounting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, May 6, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im currently building a tube front bumper. im using 1/4" mounting. i plan on using 3/4" for the shackle mount, one reason is my dad needs 2"x6" of 3/4" for his plow, and i though i would just buy some more and use that.

what i want to do is have 1/4" machined out of the center the long way and put the bumper mount in the gap and weld it all the way around both sides. will this be strong enough?

i think it will hold better than just slaping it on the side and weld one side, because there is twice as much weld. my consern is streching the 1/4" /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I think it would serve a similar design if you cut the 1/4" plate to slide the 3/4" block in too. I don't see streching the plate as a problem as long as the bolts are not to far away. I would be more worried about side loads though.

3. big83chevy4x4

right now, where the bolts are going is about 8" away from the front, but i will cut about 4" or 5" from the front, as it sticks out that far from the main tube. the design will have plenty of support between the frame and the ends on the bumper. im kinda copying derf00/bullet's front bumper /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

also whos got the best deal on 3/4" shackles? i need 2 now, and 2 more in about a month

5. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I'm building a custom rear bumer with two 3/4 in shackles. Would it be any problem if I just used 3/4 x 4" to mount it the bumper to the frame and ran it out to the shackle? I figure if I get hit or hit anything the frame is going to bend first /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

John

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

how about tieing the 3/4" plate from the frame, through the bumper and also used as clevis mount? that is how i made mine, it make a lot of sense IMO

7. big83chevy4x4

the 3/4" is $$$ so im trying to use as little as posible, but enough to be safe. i might do that but wanted an opinion on what im thinking

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

those extra bucks is worth it compared to worrying about some weld breaking.