Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Recovery Strap ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 6, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got a few quetsions

1.Whats is the right way to hook a strap up to a truck that doesnt have D rings or hooks?
    2. Anyone got pics of how there D rings are hooked up to the frame for a blazer or chevy truck?

I dont have any brakets welded on to mount my D rings yet and last night i almost had to pull a friends car outta a ditch cuz of the snow. So any tips would be helpful.

I am looking into buying some pro-comp straps of my own. Also, why should i get 2, just for a back up or is it better to hook up 2 straps at once to pull someone out? thanks for the tips, Mike

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

You got a trailer hitch? If you do you can get an insert that has a D-ring on it. Thats what I use....

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What about taking out the 5/8" hitch pin, putting the loop of a strap in the receiver, and putting the pin back in through the loop? Is this ok or a no no?

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

anyone else?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've used that many times.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's my 2 cents.

1) There isn't really a right way to hook a tow strap to a vehicle that doesn't have rings or hooks. If it is an emergency in the snow and you are careful not to yank -- you might be alright by hooking to something solid like the frame or an axle. However, if you are good and stuck hooking to anything that isn't designed for the load is just asking for trouble.

2) Sorry I don't, you can get stock recovery hooks for blazers and trucks very cheaply at a junk yard or on here in the parts for sale section. They mount to the frame in the front. (They are still pretty weak IMO -- I've sheared a bolt on mine and just about had some issues :crazy: ).

3) Two straps are nice. It is nice to have a backup in case one gets damaged, and often you can't get close enough to the stuck vehicle so it is nice to have the extra length. I am not aware of another reason that it would be better to connect two straps. In fact, the method of connecting the straps can create a weak spot making the combination strap weaker than the rating of either strap by itself.

*Edit*
    I have also used the "stuff the strap in the receiver" method. If your receiver has rough edges it is a good idea to cut a section of a bike tube to thread your strap end through -- then the rubber from the tube will help protect your strap where it contacts the reciever.

Hmm -- I guess I am long winded and boring -- I better apologize to my wife :D

7. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Ive used the hitch pin countless times. If you dont care about your bumper you can make a slipknot around it and hook the other end to another vehicle. Also, if you do lots of mudding, the more straps the better! We used to go to a swamp and get stuck and we'd get the V10 F250 to pull us out. We had to keep the F250 on dry ground so we had 165ft in tow straps, you can never have to many.

Later

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

strap info

explorer pro comp 3" work vary good . and are folded and wraped in lether at the ends. thay fit just perfect in the standered 2" recivers we all run on our rigs. the pin methed has worked 100% for me and i think is the best and easyest. you can usally find them for 55-65 dollers.:grin:

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

before i got some stock tow hooks for the front of the burb i always used the reciever. still do but since i got the blazer the burban is only used to help people out of ditches and stuff. i have over 100' of tow strap in my truck. 1 3x30 pro comp strap, 1 2x15' foot keeper strap(2 for 10 bucks 1 got stollen along with a 6x30or40 pro comp strap), 2 military tow straps 2x30' i think. they are long, and strong and down to get the freak **** awn. mikey got straps.:D

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

No offense, but that's just about the worst possible way to hook up a nylon tow strap.
    1. Stock bumpers make terrible pull points. The bumper itself is flimsy, and by now the stock hardware is at least 15+ years old and generally rusted to hell and back, making it extremely weak. About the only thing worse than a bumper flying through the air at the end of a 30-foot "rubber band" would be a trailer hitch ball...
    2. Felt the edges of a stock bumper lately? That edge is like a sawblade to a nylon strap under tension. I don't know about you, but I've got better things to spend my money on than replacing towstraps that died long before they should have. Especially when doing it right isn't very hard.

I killed my first strap in 3 wheeling trips because I used the hitch-pin method, and the receiver opening cut the strap eye too badly to use anymore (my own fault - shoulda looked at the receiver closely before doing this, but I was a newbie at the time and didn't think enough). Do yourself a favor and get a reciever shackle bracket. Or a receiver tow hook. Or even a receiver tongue with as little drop as possible, and put the pin of a D-ring shackle through it. It's better than nothing, and far better than some of the other alternatives.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

What about wraping it around the square tube on the Receiver hitch?

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

knots and its a pain the the butt. Not to much clearance between bumper and reciever hitch. On my truck its about 1/4 of an inch. broke my first strap that way.

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Me too.:cool1:

14. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i broke both my 3" and 2" pro comp strap first time out. but i was pretty good 'n stuck. mud has a suction force like you would beleive, ill tell ya.

15. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

are the 2 inchers strong enough for rigs under 5000 lbs?

Are the blazer frames driller for two hooks stock? I put some tow hooks on a buddies Exploder and drilling throught the frame was a bitch. If I can just bolt them on though, I'll buy some and some Grade 8 hardware!

how much does a reciever D Ring cost?

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about 2 inchers , but my 3 inch and 30,000 lb one is only rated at 10,000 working load . So I wouldn't use less than that whether the truck weighed 2500 lbs or 5000 lbs or 10,000 lbs . More is always better with these , I am glad I have recovery gear now , and already helped a Furd :k5: :k5:

17. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have a 2" receiver, go to Farm and Fleet or somewhere and get the lowest drop (2") hitch, and a clevis, make sure you use hardened pins. For the front, get some factory tow hooks, use good grade 8 bolts. The frame is drilled from the factory on all 4WD GM trucks as far as I know.

Respect the tow strap, it has a lot of stored energy when stretched.

Also, I have seen a stock rear bumper ripped clean off before with my own eyes (OK, I admit it was a Ford that the bumper flew off of), so don't wrap it around a bumper. Luckily the the bumper just flew (very quickly) into the back tires of the truck pulling it out, no one was injured.

Have fun and be safe! :smile1:

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I was talking about the Receiver hitch on my 96 S10 blazer, I have a bit over an inch of clearance between rear bumper and receiver hitch. On my pickup I have a DMI Ag Hitch so I use a clevace and farm style hitch pin.