Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

recurring fuel problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Apr 18, 2001.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

my 87k5 has an intermittent fuel problem (i think). i will be driving along and the engine just cuts out, press the gas and nothing. but it does kick back in. sometimes the engine stalls completely and other times it does not. i replaced the fuel filter. checked the wires up to the fuel tank, but have not looked inside the tank yet. replaced the dist cap, rotor, wires and plugs. they were all corroded. ran great after that. thought that fixed it, but then it did it again yesterday (engine cut out, stalled). any ideas? have blown the ecm fuse a few times while this happened too. and my gas gauge, like everyone elses, jumps all over the place. sorry for the novel, but this is driving me up the wall.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The blown ECM fuses are the key to your problem. Start looking at every inch of your engine wiring harness to see if you can find a bare wire somewhere. Something is shorting the ECM power to ground. When it doesn't last long enough to blow the fuse, it does last long enough to momentarily turn the computer off, shutting down the engine. [​IMG]

Tracking this one down will not be much fun since it happens so rarely.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Tough problem to track... I'd start looking real hard when it happens... are you on the gas? Turning? etc... I had one K5 that was in the shop and died evrytime you turned left LOL... finally tracked it to a shorting tps. This maybe one you want to drop off w/ a pro. Much easier to find what sensor is dying when you have a scanner that shows them all [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

thanks for the replies. interesting, it has died a couple of times while turning left. weird. i think i'll check the tps. not looking forward to checking all the wiring.