Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red and Green coolant. Same thing?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MilpitasK5, Apr 26, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Hey all:

Kind of a dumb question but my pops got a 93' Cadillac used and we just had the water pump changed. (I don't know why he went to a mechanic..) We got the car with orange/red coolant and the mechanics put Green coolant in it so it's mixed.

Do we have a problem??
    Thanks,

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Me personally, that mechanic needs to drain it out, and refill it with the color it came with. Sounds like a case of being a lazy butt. The odds are slim, but it could cause corrosion, make the antifreeze not work for as long as it should (shorten the life because the chemicals broke down too soon), and even cause water pump issues. Orange is that organic acid antifreeze which is for the aluminum radiator I believe. There's even different types of oranges from what I understand. I dunno.... maybe I am off, but I was told on my moms Honda, to always use blue which it came with, and nothing else. So I do. I think there maybe a green out there that is compatiable with the orange ingrediant wise, but you'd need to check that for sure. Maybe this was the case. Try to find out and do some looking on the brands to make sure. I swear, anti freeze is freaking confusing anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

No there not the same. The only problem it will cause is that it will break the two types down quicker and shorten the life of the coolant. IMHO that red stuff is junk.....it gets gummed all up and its just a mess.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The red coolant is the GM dex-cool stuff. Your car is designed to run that kind of coolant, not the standard green stuff.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Plus it all looks brown mixed together...YUCK!

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

I thought that the red is extended life. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Flush it out now. You need to run a hose and get all if out as fast as possible. The two coolants are not compatible, and actually turn into a mud like substance. It will end up cloging your radiator, heater core, and even the engine.

Dan

8. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the red is GM's Dex-Cool, extended life..... Everything that I've heard says that mixing the two types is bad-juju. Mixing evidently causes the coolant to break down with not so good results. I made this mistake by putting some of the the red stuff in my blazer and now the heater core doesn't flow worth a hoot. Possibly gummed up in there. I would take it back and ask him to flush it and replace it with the correct coolant.

9. MilpitasK5

Thanks everyone!!! I'll get that taken care of!

10. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

All I can tell you is they're different. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MilpitasK5

LOL not if you're color blind!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The way its been explained to my is that its for aluminum heads ? i know my Grand prix gt has dex cool i wont runn anything but dex in it the mixture has been known to cause gumming / mud like junk. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif