Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red headed step child...anyone else own one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 15, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We do...it's an 88 XJ and dead stock. My maintenance on this thing is indifferent at best and downright brutal most times. How bad you ask? I heard it ticking this morning, thought maybe I should check the oil because I couldn't remember the last time I did...

Dipstick dry, add a quart, still dry, add another quart, still dry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, add another...reads one quart low, add the fourth quart and it's a hair below full now. It only hold 6 with a filter, so apparently there was less than one and a half quarts in the pan. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Sure runs better now and much quieter.../forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

What can I say...I hate that Jeep but it won't die.

Rene

2. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

I only own my 74 K5. Be nice to have a red head though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sounds like a Pinto I once owned long ago. More than once had the oil that low, where 3 quarts left it still wanting some. Gave it away, twice, and it kept coming home. Finally gave it away the third time at well over 200k miles to a guy who wanted it for dirt track... never saw it again, but he drove it away...

I'm pretty much convinced that indifference makes them last longer. The quickest way for me to kill something is to like it a lot and take care of it...

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I decided to take the blazer this morning to work. I got to the gas station to air up the tires. I had all but 1 aired up and looked under the blazer and saw a HUGE puddle of tranny fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I just took it home and took the dually. I'll deal with it later.

I just *thought* I didn't have any mechanical carnage from last weekend /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The offical red headed step child of the family would be the camaro...but the blazer has been running a close 2nd lately

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty much convinced that indifference makes them last longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear that Jeep only lives to spite me.../forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rene

7. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

My husband's 70 Camaro is our redheaded step child, of course she is painted arrest me red with black deck stripes. Everytime we have brought home another V8 she has leaked worse, leaks from everywhere....radiator, tranny, rear wheel cylinder, real main seal, power steering pump..if it has fluid she leaks it. When we brought home the Nova she started running really rough coughing through the carb. After the Nova was sold I backed her out of the garage to clean it she was running perfect.

We thought the original 307 is done for so we put in a 350 and nope when the Blazer came home she started up her attitude again leaking lots and lots of fluids, this time she better get used to her driveway mate because the Blazer ain't going anywhere. She since has gotten used to the Blazer and leaking has almost stopped this time but its so fustrating to love her so much but yet hate her so much at the same time.

She has her own room, doesn't get driven in the rain, gets massaged and rubbed down consistently, and admired by many people but sometimes its not enough I guess /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would love to get her body work done right and painted a different color but her nickname fits her so well.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty much convinced that indifference makes them last longer. The quickest way for me to kill something is to like it a lot and take care of it...

[/ QUOTE ]

so how do you exsplain me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if you mean non-gm stuff, i have 2 of the jeep cherokee's, an 87 with 6.5 inches of lift, locked with 4.56's and 34's, and an 88 with 3 inches of lift, locked with 3.55's and 30's. i also have an 83 fj-60, but it is running a chevy 350 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BadDog

Do you REALLY want to ask that question? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so how do you exsplain me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

to most things there is a contradiction, an addendum, so we must change it to say:

[ QUOTE ]
    unless you are supersize75k5, then you can kill whatever you touch

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had a 96 astro van I bought for work, bought it drove it 8000 plus miles in four months and sold it with the same oil in it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

It wasn't even black... or low /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Hehehe sounds like the POS tempo I bought the wife to run back and forth to work on.

Have to put a liter of Lucas HD oil stabilizer in it once a month or it blows all the oil out of the filler in just a week. When it starts a ticking and a banging it's time for some more oil.

Pais $200.00 for the stupid thing and it just keeps going.

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have one, and it's the exact same year and model as Rene's. 190,000 miles, daily driver, never failed me in over a year other than getting stuck in gear once. JeremyK5 drove it for a few days once and had his brother check the oil while it was at his house. Turns out it was 2 quarts low and I hadn't even noticed. It ran just fine like that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Mine is my daily driver (87 s10). I have taken it off road a few times (it is 2wd open diff), jumped it many times (on and off road). I know I need to check the oil when the oil light comes on /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a 96 astro van I bought for work, bought it drove it 8000 plus miles in four months and sold it with the same oil in it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

It wasn't even black... or low /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't checked or changed the oil in my daily driver for over 20,000 miles. Guess I'll get around to it one of these days.

17. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I got a 1970 ford. the only maint I have done is after I did a burnout out to where the speedo read 70 ( iwas in first gear) . It developed a tick wellll 5 months later we decided to replace the heads ( 390 fe = $$$$) And it only had 9 pushrods and lifters the other 7 were sitting in the lifter valley along w/ some other stuff. But it ran the whole time (3 mpg) and now it still purrs along. Usually with a bed full of chevy parts. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. BadDog

Hehe, that reminds me. On the Pinto, at around 175k it just started running like crap (it normally ran like a clock believe it or not). So, I drove it home about 20 miles like that, just hoping to get home before it died. Switched to my truck which I normally didn't drive due to gas mileage.

About 8 months later I decided to try and figure out what was wrong before junking it. Found the cam followers were completely dished out and the cam worn badly (big surprise considering how many times run out of oil). In fact, one of the followers had gotten worn so badly it had just fallen out! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You could put it in and take it back out without any tools! Well, new cam and followers was more than the car was worth. So, I dropped a couple of washers under the lifter where the follower fell out so that the follower had some tension on it and buttoned it up. Cranked right up with no problem and I started driving it again. Still running like that the day I finally gave it away for good...

19. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I have a Red 96 Geo(pronounced "Gay-0") Tracker. Its 2wd and 3 speed automatic. It tach's about 4000 RPM at 65. I have to carry a ball bat with me whenever I drive it to keep all the ladies from hopping aboard. I got it in the divorce. (She got nothing) It's getting sold this spring. I thought about keeping it and turning it into a trail rig. Maybe I still will. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

20. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, my first reaction is "hey now" -- I'm redheaded and a stepchild! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That said, sure, not all of us are lucky enough to maintain a 100% bowtie household.

OTOH, my daily driver is American-made and a GM affiliate (Isuzu, made in Indiana) so I could do a lot worse (like own a Frrd!)