Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Red Hot"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Oct 26, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

\"Red Hot\"

I have a problem and I've never heard of it before. My Blazer with a 350 motor and dual exhaust is getting really hot. It is dark out here and I opened the hood because it smelled hot, to my suprise both exhaust manifolds were glowing orange. They are off of a 305 so the only thing i can think of is that they are too restricted??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I really don't know what to do.

2. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Red Hot\"

Do you still have cataletic convertors? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

nope, no cats, it has new mufflers so that shouldn't be a problem either. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

anyone? I really need to know what's going on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Did this just start happening or did you do some motor work then it started happening?

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Running lean makes things hot...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull off any of your emissions stuff?

As was mentioned, running lean will cause this, and pulling off emissions equipment (particularly EGR) will cause the engine to run lean.

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

did you mess with the carb? or what was the last thing you did to the engine besides the manifolds? it needs more gas /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

You know that Halloween is right around the corner I think they K5 would look sweet glowing RED under the hood. Not too ghoulish but you could work with it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Double check the mufflers and see if they are on backwards. Were you doing any "hotrodding" since you upgraded your exhaust?

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats your engine temp? Sounds like a lean mixture. IIRC a rich mixture can have the same effect if the unburnt fuel is burning in the exhaust. Have any choke problems?

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Did you recently get new mufflers? What kind are they? A regular muffler on backwards will create excess pressure in the system and therefore heat. If its just a bottle type muffler or something with a simple design like that then thats probably not it.

13. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Last time I saw glowing red manifolds was when I smoked my Vortec....................................... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Lean or late. You are either running really lean due to a big vacuum leak (or a REALLY mis-jetted carb), or your timing is retarded.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The exhaust manifolds in my 400 small block would turn a dull red after driving a few miles on the highway--I checked all the settings like timing,carb mixture,brakes dragging,etc--everything checked out ok--about a month later I had to replace the manfold because the crack it had from day one I brazed shut had spread--the "new"manifold felt about 5 lbs heavier--the other one was so corroded it was only about an eighth of an inch thick--too thin to keep it from turning red I guess--never did it again since!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I just went through this on my 88 tbi bbc the timeing was off and the cat was clogged!!!

17. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

The base gasket had a good sized leak, I fixed that and still no cigar. I think it may be the carb. I got a replacement at the junk yard but I'm not sure what it came off of because they guy took it off before I got there. I have only noticed glowing since then but it could have been happening before because I don't usuaully pop the hood in the dark right after driving it. The whole motor seems to be hot so could that also be related to mixture (to lean or rich)? I have no idea what temp it is because my temp. guage says it's only like 180 or less so that is clearly wrong. Thanks for all the advice.

18. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the jetting on the carb you just put on.

19. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

temp in the combustion will not really affect water temp. If I recall right combustion temp is around 1100 deg I could be way wrong but I recall that.

[ QUOTE ]
    The base gasket had a good sized leak, I fixed that and still no cigar. I think it may be the carb. I got a replacement at the junk yard but I'm not sure what it came off of because they guy took it off before I got there

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you got a used qjet go buy a rebuild kit for it. Its not really that hard. Remove jets in you original carb and use those is what I would do. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pull the plugs and see what they tell ya