Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red Line Heavy Weight Shock Proof Gear Oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Sep 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=131019&prmenbr=361

Shockproof Gear Oils: Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions which see shockloading. Shock Proof contains a unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Available as Super Light, Lightweight, and Heavy grades.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I use that in all the rearend I build that use spools, lockers, or welded. It works great. I use the heavy stuff. It is equal to 75w250 oil /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Dan

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man 2 gallons would cost 64 dollars plus tax and shipping pretty expinsive /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i use that in my bike, great stuff. would use anything else. the only problem is trying to find it. plus its quite expensive

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use it too. It is awesome stuff. I run it in both my welded 14bff and also my locked 10 bolt front. It is great stuff and I recommend it highly.

Harley

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How well does this stuff work in winter?!

I mean, the 75 should mean it flows just as good as any other gear oil- but the 250- wow. Might be worth it for a tow rig.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Do we have any redline dealers on here?

I found a local place thats sells it for about $95 a case does that sound about right for the 75W250/75W - Heavy Duty? Thats $8.something a quart

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It did fine for me when I spent the winter in Colorado a few years back. The great stuff about that gear oil is once it coats the metal surface there is ALWAYS a film of gear oil on the metal.

If you park you rig for a few days there will still be a gear oil film on the top of the gears that is above the fluid level.

The funnel I use to fill my diffs with that stuff keeps a film of oil on it for months. It doesn't completely go away. Metal to metal contact is basically a thing of the past with that oil.

It is definitly a thick gear oil but it flows fine once it warms up a little. Shouldn't be a problem with winter driving. The inside of the diff will still get warm enough to heat the oil up to a good flow thickness.

Harley