Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red Neck Glory

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Okay, guys and gals. Just had to share my excitement! Not long ago I installed a cd player in my Orange Blossom Spcl ('72). The other day I happened into a a cd exchange store and picked up some CD's. All excited to get home to listen I suddenly had the epiphany that "Hey, I can play these NOW!!" So, I did. Top off, 75 degrees and sunny. Upped the volume a little to Waylon: Good hearted Woman followed by theme from the Dukes, and so on. I had the biggest s**t eatin grin, and just loved looking down on those rice rocket speed bump cars!! Another part to this excitement was prior to this I had no tunes in her at all. Anyway, just had to share my joy. 4x4, topless, throaty exhaust, and Waylon! How awesome! I was just sorry I left my boots and hat at home! Thanks for listening!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

AWESOME ! [​IMG][​IMG]

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

3. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

Can't wait to get mine there! I'm riding with no tunes =(

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

:( wish mine would hurry up, it don't start yet, stupid wires.

Like em big and topless

5. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

i'm in the same boat. I feel your pain. ;-)

If it ain't broke, break it!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HAHAHAHa right on!! I too have been tune-less for almost a full year(speaker boxes fell apart)! I just need to move that project to the top of the list!!
    Oh and Waylon kicks a$$!! Along with some good ole Hank Jr.!!
    "I'd Like To Spit Some BeechNut In That Dudes Eye And Shoot Him With My Ole 45... A CountryBoy Can Survive!"
    Later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Burt4x4,.

!!!!!WHAT!!!!! Your speaker boxes fell apart and that's the reason you have no music.....unacceptable!!

If you have been paying ANY attention to the other Forums, you will see that I am the current reigning "King of MDF" with my stereo subwoofer box project. [​IMG]

You live too close for this to be an issue.....you bring some beer and some 3/4" MDF (or if you don't have a local source I'll pick some up) and we'll spend a couple of hours making you some new boxes!!!! [​IMG]

DEAL?

-Greg72

8. bitchin4x4

So what would you recommend for speakers?

what is mdf?

9. Greg72

Bitchin4x4,

I don't know what Burt's got going on in his truck....if it's 6x9 Boxes or Subs....it sounds like he already has the speakers, just needs new cabinets for them.

MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard. Most people confuse it with Particleboard, but it is MUCH denser and heavier weight. Particleboard is not strong enough for speaker cabinets, and absorbs water instantly....swells up....and falls apart. MDF is tough stuff....easy to work with, strong, and is not waterproof either but seems more immune to water damage than particleboard. Unfortuately, most lumberyards won't know what you are asking for if you ask for MDF, so you sometimes have to go to a 'specialty' lumberyard.

I've also heard of people using a material called "Medite" for speaker cabinets, but I have no personal experience with it.

-Greg72

10. bitchin4x4

Cool, thanks [​IMG]

I thought you might have been talking about particle board, so I asked! ;-) I will have to check with brother on this, he is heavily into car stereo's and builds his own systems and boxes, as our dad is a cabinet maker (home and commercial cabinets that is)

thanks

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've spent probally $400 on my stereo system, but I rarely find myself listening to it unless its on a long trip.
    I rather listen to my engine, the detroit locker chirp and the flowmasters rumble. And I also hear noises before something becomes a problem...U joints, water pump bearing, brakes, ring&amp;pinion etc. I've diagnosed just by hearing it.
    Oh yeah, I got a kenwood detacable face deck, Kenwood 5 1/4" in the doors, some 6X9"s in some black carpeted panels I made along the bedside. And a 10 disk changer under the back seat... I made a bracket for the cd changer that bolted in with the same bolts as the back seat, so I could take it out with the back seat. I left room on that bracket for a couple of amps also if I ever wanted to.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey thanks Greg!! Ya I had some made out of regular partical board and the soked up water like a sponge and then swelled up and fell apart on me! So I just yanked out that mess and haven't done anything about it...Someday I may take you up on that offer!! I have to tell you I REALY hate the BayArea and if I don't HAVE to go there I will NOT. I lived there for 10yrs and sware I would never return!!
    I remember your box you brought to Holister, Very SWEET!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

speaking of , greg have you got your subs in yet?

Like em big and topless

14. Greg72

LKJR,

Ooooooh that hurts! ..... C'mon now, you guys know I'm completely on hold until the subs get here.... and it's killing me. [​IMG]

They were shipping from a warehouse somewhere in Florida, and they still arent here yet.

Don't worry, as soon as they get here I will post new photos and begin the COMPLETE stereo installation!

-Greg72

15. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

that sucks, man I'm anxious to hear how this thing works out, shoot if I"m anxious I know you are.

Like em big and topless
    Excue me...Would you mind removing your from import under my chevy?