Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RED RIG QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CHEVY 4WD, Apr 22, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know the factory red color I like but I dont know what its called or the paint code. Could some of yall with factory paint post a picture of your truck and tell me the code and/or paint name?

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

It might be easier IMHO to go to your local body shop or paint store and ask them to look through thier paint chip book.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The red used for '89-'91 Suburbans and Blazers was called "Flame Red". My '88 crewcab dually is red which is called "Apple Red". I like the Flame Red color better as it looks better IMHO. I painted my '77 Suburban with teh Flame Red paint.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

How bout filling in the blanks and I can tell ya where to look for the code and possibly what letter # combo to look at in that Jumble of stuff to get the paint code.

What (roughly) yr car or truck are you looking at? What model?

For example when I painted my moms 4Runner a few yrs ago she found a car color she liked at a dealership, then she and I went there and I got the code off it.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4905 Apple Red, I love the way it looks though I am not a red vehicle fan. It was the factory color. Sanded my hard top and painted it the same color, looks good. Had a cop compliment me, said he saw my rig coming and went "wow thats nice, ok I have to pull it over"(I was doing like 20 over the speed limit)

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive seen it on like 85 Chevrolet truck's and its kinnda liek tourch red on the new vetts

I think sheddog has the color im talking about where did you get your paint from?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if its an 85 its Apple red the same color I have. I got mine at a local autobody supply shop called Hentz. Went in and looked at his factory GM Truck paint book and found it, made sure the paint name matched my fender tag and got it.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ok then GM trucks from 85? and older have the sticker under the hood on the fender skirt. Good luck reading it, most are trashed if they are even there. 86 up the sticker is in the glove box, youll see the paint color name and beside it in the option codes will have the color CODE. The name of the color means squat. For example 91 Camaro had the purple that was called Purple Haze by GM, PPG called it something else, DuPont had another name. Get the picture? BUT the color CODE was the same no matter what the name was. Cars are in the glove box, trunk, under the trunk carpet, center console, inside the spare tire compartment on the Camaros and Firebirds.

For example WA5271, which if I am recalling right may be a white or a red GM color code. (Im thinking red or garnet on either a GM P/U or a Camaro Its been a while.) The color codes like 28 (which I know is/was a common GM truck blue IIRC it started out a solid and ended up being a blue metallic, maybe Saturn picked that code 28 up too, Black Saphire,BUT it was a different WA#) ended up being several different shades of blue after a few yrs, but the WA# would always give you the correct color. IIRC 89 up GM is WAXXXX is what the code is. The 2 # code will be mixed into the mess of #s on the option sticker, the WA# will be at the bottom of the sticker.

At one time I could practically look at a car, and tell you the color code. Only the more common ones like the silvers whites reds and blues ETC. Only in GMs and Fords tho.

Oh yeah, back to the point, Chryslers until sometime in the 90s that I know of will have a plate somewhere under the hood, sometimes hard to find, but under the hood. Full size vans the plate is behind the battery and you have to remove the battery to see it. For example B18 which was a light crystal blue on the Caravans. (and a REAL pain to match BTW.) Anything other than the metal plate on Chryslers I am not sure of.

Fords will be on the drivers door or door jamb. Sometime in the early 90s the codes changed. The code 9L turned into YO, (white, PPG color mixing code 3620 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, I sprayed hundreds of gallons of that color! That code will be w/ me for life!) then changed again from what I was told.

Hondas have the code in the drivers door or jamb and I think on the radiator support if not on the door.

BMWs are/ were on the strut towers, Youll see a sticker that has a name, like Bronzit Beige and there will be a # under it. Thats a Gold on the 3 series cars if ya care. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think I got carried away and Ill stop here. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif