Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red River, NM

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by coolhandluke, Jul 11, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

any of you guys ever wheel around Red River? if so, where, I'm heading there next week, and need some info.

2. NMJImmy

NMJImmy Registered Member

I'm from Abq, and just went on a trip this May to Red River.

My G/F and I went up to Goose Lake and were the first vehicle to make it to the lake since winter, we even had to bust through several deep snow drifts to make it to the lake. It's a really rough, but senic road, nothing hardcore.

The lake is beautiful, surrounded by high cliffs, where you can watch Big Horn Sheep, so take your binoculars.

The trailhead is just past the 'y' at the east end of town and it's an eight mile road, but it will seem much longer cause it's so damn rough.

When are you going? You may want to avoid July 19-21 due to a Heep Jamboree, it will probably be packed. There are trails everywhere in the Carson National Forrest so finding trails is easy enough.

Let me know if you want to know any other details, as I am a native from here, an avid outdoorsman, and always willing to help a fellow out. Z.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Talked to my dad a couple of nights ago, he has a place at Eagle Nest. He said everything is CLOSED right now due to the fire danger, including Goose Lake.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

How often do you go to Goose Lake? I haven't been in years, but I want to plan a trip up there (see previous post) one of these years and hit the fishing up there. I know it's got to be good.

5. NMJImmy

Actually, last Friday Carson opened up with fire restrictions, but everything is now open, same for all the forrests in NM.

Actually the Game and Fish Department stocks that lake with trout by helicopter. So the fishing is really good after that. We only caught a few small trout, but walking down below the lake the stream was full of trout.

I like to go several times a year, its one of my favorite spots, due to it difficulty getting there, meaning that not every a-hole who dosen't care about taking care of our National Forrests can make it up there.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like to go several times a year, its one of my favorite spots, due to it difficulty getting there, meaning that not every a-hole who dosen't care about taking care of our National Forrests can make it up there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does it still take about 3 hours to drive up there?

7. NMJImmy

Yep, unless you've built you vehicle for serious prerunning, and you don't take any heavy camping and fishing supplies, it'll take 2.5+ hours to get to the lake. Still worth the damage to the kidneys IMHO.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The only time I have been up there was when I was like 6-7 in a 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief, stock.