Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Red top or Yellow top Optimas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Jul 16, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I know the red top is better for short bursts of power like starting or winching and the yellow is better for long steady draws, like a powerful stereo or bright lights. I have all of the above and will eventually have a welder also. I am thinking of putting in a big ass alternator. Is the deep cycle yellow top really worth the extra $50? Or will the alternator take care of the lights and stereo without any problems?

That's because I'm the devil.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think you should go with a dual battery setup. You would get the best of both worlds. Are you going with an onboard style welder? Or a come along with an inverter. Most onborads come with a hi-amp alternator or an upgrade option. Check your options with dual battery setups at http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/hellroaring/ Click on this to read the article.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by fr8train on 07/16/01 06:10 PM.</FONT></P>

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the dual from Wrangler NW. And yes, fr8 nailed it. High CCA for primary and starting, deep cycle for long power draws.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Painless Wiring also makes some nice dual-battery setups.

www.painlessperformance.com/mastmind.htm

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

5. Here is a link to my set-up

This is the write-up I did for Off-road.com on my WranglerNW dual battery set-up in my 2000 Z71. It's an awesome setup and I am running the stock battery with one red top Optima. The installation was a breeze and the harness was very easy to work with. It almost looks stock ! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/wranglerdb/>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/wranglerdb/</a>

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !! <font color=black>Kentucky

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

one of each?

So I can run one of each with an isolator?

If that is the case, then I'll start with the red top and alternator, and later, when my bank account is recovered, I will go ahead and add a yellow top and an isolator.

That's because I'm the devil.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by MaxCrack on 07/18/01 05:48 PM.</FONT></P>

7. 2Dogs

Re: one of each?

I got a Yellow top for $145. Shop around, sometimes it pays.

Dave

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When looking for an alternator, check some local starter shops for a rewound one. I got a black powder coated 180A alternator from a shop here in Dallas that is teh exact same size as the stock one for about $130. They sell them over the counter or on ebay. I think they are good quality and worth the money. You can probably find you a local shop that does the same. It would be a LOT cheaper than a new one.

Just my 2 pennies

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

9. 2Dogs

If you have a serpentine belt system - upgrade to an alternator that has the beefy bearings. Wrangler NW has one that pumps out 100 amps at idle with the heavy duty bearings.
    It was so expensive I forgot how much but I will be going to that soon.

Dave

10. Re: one of each?

I got a red top for ZERO !!

<font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!
    <font color=black>From Kentucky

11. Re: one of each?

You could run two stock batteries if you wanted to. You could buy the battery tray(one from a diesel will work), then battery, then solenoid, then switch/harness and cables until you piece it all together, but like everthing else in this world it would probably be cheaper to but it at once. Call Steve and Wrangler he will get you an answer to any dual battery questions.

<font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!
    <font color=black>From Kentucky