Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redding California trails

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by savagek5diesel, Mar 2, 2005.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

hey guys, me and my friends and been everywhere we can think of in redding to wheel. Wondering if anymore locals can suggest some spots i don't know of yet. preferable some longer trails 2+ miles.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

have you guys been out the back of castle crags? or up behind the dam by the mines....

you can wheel all day out the back castle crags... go up to the high mountain lakes... a couple of them are favorite places for the heepers for some rock crawling... Im not sure if there is snow there right now... I dont think so.... and there are some neat fire roads for some high speed stuff (although the main road gets some traffic)

castle crags is about 30 miles north of redding... fuel up before you go... fuel there is really expensive. Take the road towards the park and continue on past to the west up into the mountains...
    I highly recommend the forest service maps
    what more types of wheeling are you interested in? theres several hundred thousand acres here

cam

3. savagek5diesel

yeah, i know about the crags, we actually went up to tamarak lake and camped and wheeled for the weekend this last summer. We're real skeptical about going around the damn, we've had friends out there and armed guards in full camo pop out of a bush and tell them to leave.
    we like some kind of technical stuff, hill climbs and what not. We'll do any trail, we're just tired of doing the same ones and arn't really motivated to drive on every dirt trail we see off the side of the road. If you check out my photo gallery you can see my truck at the top of Bear Mtn @ the lookout looking over all of redding/red bluff/anderson.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1913/sort/1/cat/549/page/1

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my ranch looks up directly at bear mtn.... that glint you saw looking down was me looking up at you through my scope;) Its off to the right in your pic (how'd you get through the fire gate??? and that crazy guy at the bottom??)

have to go around the dam now ...pITA... from Iron mtn road up from cheswick.....

time to head to trinity county then for you... or eastern shasta on the way to burney....

cam

5. savagek5diesel

my good friend has property that wraps all around that crazy guy's house, and the old forest service road also runs through his property, so we take the old road and it meets up with the new one. it was a very over grown trail when i drove my truck threw it the first time, kinda looked like this /\, so over grown that my buddies uncle wouldn't drive his quad through it. we trimmed it up enough for a smaller truck to go up, but now that the jimmy is lifted, it don't fit too well anymore.