Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redline on 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4_76, May 5, 2002.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Just the other day I went to safety inspection station to register my K5 as a diesel.
    So they wanted to do a opacity test to it.They revved it to a 3960 RPM for 3 seconds.It sounded really awfull.
    I was just wondering that what is the redline on 6.2 diesel?

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I think fuel starts to cut out at 3600 - 3800 and 4000 is the absolute max. I never run mine past 3600.

3. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yeah i thought the shut-off was at 3600rpm, how would you get it past?

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The governors on the 6.2L diesels aren't exactly like the others.....the general rule of thumb is 3600 rpm, but it varies, especially if anybody's every fooled with the pump....it's quite easy to mess up the governor setting.

Sounds like they just full-throttled it for 3 seconds. I've heard of that test before.

Casey

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

This test is normal with us. Because in Germany, we must go for technical monitoring every two years and also the exhaust gas are examined there. In this test the engine is accelerated three times for 10 seconds up to the top. The maximum number of revolutions is written on the injection pump and is with mine at 4000rpm.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How safe is this for the engines? I wouldn't want my engine doing this too much......

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I don't think it harms the engines any. The 6.2L just happens to sound like it's going to fly apart, but it isn't.

Most other diesels are designed to run at their governed speed all day long.

When towing, I usually rev my 6.2L's up to the governor before shifting.

Casey

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

The advantage of the Diesel is, that only a deaf driver can do to much rpm’s. All normal drivers give up before.

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Here in spain we must to pass this this inspection every six months.The engine is accelerated three times bout 10 seconds too.But, this is not good for a big Diesel engine like this,which not pass to 3600 rpm,and usually works at 2000.
    When you buy a new car,the first thing wich says in the cars store,or in the owners manual is that is not good to accelerate the engine in void,i want to mean with the car stoped in "P" or "N",is correct?
    I think that everybody would have to protest for this Check.,until getting to forbid to it.Someday someone is going to get a" pretty" hole in the block in one of these inspections...

10. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Here in Finland,that test have to be done once a year,to all vehicles made after -78.It's done at the same time when we go to safety inspection.
    What are the limit values there in Spain,and Germany?We have 2.5 for naturally aspirated,and 3.0 to charged engines.

Here they have a new test equipment,so it only needed two runs for my K5,first idle and max. rpm,and then the actual test.Which was 1.31.
    I have rebuild injection pump,and all filters were new,so that might made it easy.We'll see what happens next year.

11. René

René 1/2 ton status

The permitted limit values are different and it depend on the year of construction. In addition one differentiates between passenger car and truck. On dieselengines, 4 values are measured. CO, CO2, NOX and the particle output. Except for the soot I can determine however no sense with this test, only that the workshop can earn 30 euros every 2 years. Differently is the cause on engines with catalyst and electronic management...
    So each country has its own ridiculously regulations...